i got brown noted by the destiny loading screen when i had e coli

there is a prioritize frame rate option in the beta if you’re on a ps4 pro - maybe it’ll be an option across the board on actual release? or maybe that doesn’t follow, i don’t know.

i actually might get a pro between now and then because if i’m not going to spend money to make my monster hunter experience more luxurious then what am i going to spend money on don’t answer that

1 Like

I admire this but am duly obliged to point out that the pro is a really lukewarm upgrade

1 Like

it’s no bonex

I’ve been shouting out loud just to be heard over thunderous Dino quakes

This is so fantastic

Even better there’s a chance I can get people at work into REAL DEAL HUNTING and we can up the dialogue around combat-surrounding systems

WHAT IS YOUR PSN NAME

1 Like

Ahaha I’m about to head into work so I’m probably done until the PC version comes out.

It’s incredible how they’ve massively integrated the environment and connections together; especially given how slowly this series advances. I guess they’ve had ten years to talk about doing this, though.

The Rathalos fight isn’t to bad solo if you remember its safe spots by the tail. Love how the new potion system works: drink over time but you can cancel/be forced out early.

Great sword for life

yeah it looks like i’ll be playing with some old hunting pals tonight that i haven’t played with in a while, but if people are playing tomorrow or monday i’m in!

for the longest time the pro was a joke to me, but hearing it has graphics options for monster hunter… i mean that’s all this box is pretty much gonna be from now on.

i had some fun playing destiny for about an hour this morning, but the charm wore off quickly. i actually have a strong desire to play the raid lair, it is more appealing to me than the actual raid. the only reason i want to play the raid now is to get my heavy slot back.

monhun is fun. i’ve never played one before - gonna have to get used to measuring my furious button mash.

personally v much enjoying the insect glaive and the gunlance

game is absolutely beautiful and rich and i have no idea what i’m doing

1 Like

OK I like this

no code what’s your PSN? I can add you to Rye’s group I think

protomark

Deadname In My PSN :’(

I spent too much money on it to switch it, I hate Sony

i really vibed with charge axe in 4, but i’m having a hard time reconnecting.

the little tweaks and changes they’ve made to this are multitudinous and i’m kind of amazed they did so much of this stuff at once.

the verticality of it feels realllllly good and I can already tell how satisfying it is to set up traps and whatnot

I had a half hour free so I did the beginner hunt and messed around in the training area. The beta is rather shitty in terms of giving you any idea how things work and what I should be doing. I’ll try the medium hunt tomorrow or Monday but it’s not doing much to winning a complete noob like me over.

i’m trying this out! thevinculumgate is my psn

Yeah, they didn’t take the opportunity to rethink their ball of snakes UI (but they did make some very nice quality of life improvements for returning players).

The pacing of the fights feels faster to me (these monsters dropped quickly) which should help new players, but–

The hardest lessons for me to learn were:

• When to put my weapon away versus stay in ready stance. Some weapon types let you leave it out most of the time but you should always be willing to sheathe to get the heck out of the way. Great sword is recommended partly because it’s strict enough to enforce this

• The pacing of fights. Monster Hunter has bigger HP pools than almost any game so battles are lost in inches until late-game. Because of this, I wasn’t forced to learn how to dodge hits and I spent the first few goes playing Rock 'Em Sock 'Em. Keep putting energy in avoiding attacks and you’ll find yourself finishing fights much faster because you spend less time in long recovery periods and drinking potions. I think Capcom is mistaken in lowering damage to the player so much in early game because it weakens all the feedback.

Personally it only clicked for me with great sword because I find the fast weapons too easy to think I’m doing well when I’m just mashing and getting stepped on. With a big slow thing you have very discrete, good job/eat dirt moments.

2 Likes

It’s weird that this game shows the numbers, though that is helpful. I’m sure it can be turned off though.

Beat the first two fights last night in a whirl, gonna try the third one later this afternoon if anyone wants to party up. I still suck with the bow, but I will get better at it. Great Sword is still a fallback classic jam, and I will probably pick up something new when the game comes out depending on team composition. I could possibly learn to tank.

Also anyone up for D2 Raid Lair at some point soon? I think I am good to go on it.

Which is funny since it’s already doing much better than most MH games.

I’ve never really played an MH game much and I gotta say, playing this demo in single-player did nothing to tell me what the flow of this game is supposed to be. Filling the player’s inventory with a ton of items and tools is probably very good for returning players to see what’s new and try out the changes, but a beginner like me is left absolutely clueless. And then you chase a monster around the map beating it up and slicing off its tail and then you run out of time because you can’t seem to do effective amounts of damage fast enough. This is still clearly a game designed for you to be initiated into by your friends playing with you and explaining what you need to do at each step until you start “getting” it.

It doesn’t demo well, is what I’m saying.

MH demos have always been a sort of training exercise for existing players to familiarize themselves with weapon and combat changes in the new version, and not so much about selling the game to new players. The health of monsters is even inflated to give players more time to play around with their new weapons. These kinds of demos excel at that, but are piss-poor at what most assume a demo should be for: selling the game to new players.

Soul Sacrifice’s demo did a much better job at this for a MH-like game, by letting you grind a small portion of the game as much as you’d like, letting you get a feel for the combat and the systems outside of combat like spell collection and crafting them into stronger spells. The kicker is that you could transfer those spells into the retail version of the game and have a stronger arsenal to start out with.

is this true? i’ve never heard it before, and i would have guessed the opposite if anything in a few cases

frankly the only really good way to demo monster hunter would be to just like let you play the game from the beginning but cut you off at one star quests or something. as long as that’s out of the question i think this is the best one yet