i got brown noted by the destiny loading screen when i had e coli

dtr

also yes that skolas fight jesus

i felt so guilty that i was the one without gjallarhorn the whole time

better devils has a new firing sound, biggest improvement

1 Like

Whatā€™s the deal with the PS4 automatically downloading updates in rest mode? Is it only once a day in the middle of the night or what? Seems like every time thereā€™s a Destiny update in particular, itā€™s never downloaded, whereas I havenā€™t played Overwatch in 4 months and it keeps telling me the latest update is ready

yeah mine is like rolling dice too, iā€™ve never understood it

some pretty places

1 Like

Final mission spoiler snark: At least they didnā€™t forget to script the dunk animation this time.

ļ¼©ļ¼®ļ¼¦ļ¼©ļ¼®ļ¼©ļ¼“ļ¼„ ļ¼°ļ¼Æļ¼³ļ¼³ļ¼©ļ¼¢ļ¼©ļ¼¬ļ¼©ļ¼“ļ¼©ļ¼„ļ¼³

omake:

lol what is this shit

is it the first good grenade launcher

i heard some bug made fighting lion temporarily ridiculous

is it true the heroic strikes donā€™t have modifiers?

Itā€™s the spicy boy cannon!

1 Like

Campaign thoughts now that Iā€™ve completed my second playthrough:

The Infinite Forest is a convenient way to pad out missionsā€™ play time. Most of the time you spend on Mercury is spent walking from place to place, but you need to get through 3-4 Prison of Elders waves between waypoints.

Barely anything in this game feels threatening to you. The Infinite Forest is not a darkness zone, and overall, the expansion feels like it has an all-time low darkness zone count. The final boss is way too forgiving, with checkpoints after each damage phase. I wish it was still possible to play story missions on heroic the first time through like you could in Year One, because itā€™s not hard to get through this campaign deathless, and it feels impossible to fail, and Iā€™m not even a good PvE player.

Some of the things Brother Vance says to you after completing the campaign are quite hilarious.

Apparently Ophidian Aspects are back in the game and are still the best exotic

1 Like

Aside from the lack of darkness zones, the XP curve is really generous during the new character -> end of campaign period. I only did like a quarter of the Adventures, about 4 public events and no freeform wandering, and still felt somewhat overleveled. Itā€™s basically impossible to experience 100% of the campaign content and have it be challenging, without bringing in bad equipment on purpose. Maybe this is part of the designā€™s approach for not falling into mission reuse the moment you enter the postgame though, which this game does seem to be a lot better at.

i think as a whole destiny 2 feels really safe. they seem really concerned with making sure the playerā€™s experience is always positive that theyā€™re afraid to take any risks with the design at all.

remember in the beta where there were two spinning blades in the engine of the cabal ship or whatever? and how they actually took one of them OUT for the final release because some players were having a hard time with it? itā€™s almost like they donā€™t want players to experience any friction at all with the game (outside of a raid maybe).

Destiny 2 is the cheesecake factory of first person shmupping

3 Likes

I know what Cheesecake Factory is now so I think I get it

1 Like

Thanks to this post, I learned that you can click the blood potion button so hard that your browser crashes

2 Likes

I realized I had to stop doing all sidequests halfway through the European Dead Zone because I was already 3 levels ahead of golden path recommended; I remained 3 levels higher for the rest of the campaign while ignoring all sidequests.

I know what cheesecake factory is but not what itā€™s shorthand for

the only good cheesecake at the cheesecake factory is the vanilla bean cheesecake

the other ones are just wild crash-heaps of various sugars and flavors

i also heard all the cool vex-styled gear is behind eververse??

the gameplay loop really seems to be: shoot unchallenging things, fill up bar to get gacha pull, repeat.

sorry i feel like i keep grumpin up this thread, might be time for me to stop tracking it and step away for a bit.

I was overlevelled for the last 2 years of Destiny 1 but stuff still routinely kicked my ass because a lot of the endgame content (heroic strikes, nightfall, Prison of Elders, Challenge of the Elders, occasional story missions) had modifiers on them that either powered you or the enemies up.

Aside from Heroic (on all non-Normal content) and Epic (on Nightfall), none of the modifiers in Destiny 2 actually impact how strong the enemies are. Destiny 1 had six of these excluding the aforementioned: Angry, Lightswitch, Bloodthirsty, Fresh Troops, Ironclad, Match Game, and it was possible that one weekā€™s modifiers were two of those active at once. All of the D2 modifiers are either about buffing/debuffing your ability recharge rate or health recovery, or introduce an auxiliary objective to the map that allow you to extend the timer on nightfall strikes. The one exception is Prism, which makes one of your elements deal 3x damage and rotates every few minutes while debuting all other elements, but this only impacts the damage you deal. If you primarily stick with kinetic weapons, the difficulty is no different than it would be normally, and if you rotate weapons to match the currently buffed element, the strike actually gets easier with this modifier.

I should point out that despite these changes to modifiers, nightfalls in D2 are harder to run than they were in D1 because of the time restriction. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve managed to finish a nightfall in less than 3 runs, because youā€™re going to be starved for time, and getting time back on the clock isnā€™t easy if you donā€™t have a good route or strategy in mind for the weekā€™s Timewarp objective. However, making everything a speed run isnā€™t necessarily the way I think they should be headed difficulty-wise for all activities in the game.

Thereā€™s also the issue that the nightfall is such a time sink compared to any other weekly milestone in the game that awards Powerful Gear right now that there is no incentive to run it unless you feel like speedrunning a strike that week. If I have the choice between playing 3 random heroic strikes to get a Powerful Gear engram, or have to find 2 other people to run the nightfall with and probably have to run the same strike 3 times in a row, Iā€™m just never going to play the nightfall because itā€™s never going to be worth the effort unless I desperately need another loot drop that week.

I was one of the players who spent like 15 minutes dying on that part during the beta, and the issue was never the number of blades, it was the amount of safe areas you could jump to and the precision of the timing of the jumps you needed to make to get to those safe areas. Whenever Bungie detects that a certain area is giving players problems, they tend to trivialize it instead of making the minimal changes required to make it less of a problem for players.

I think the gaming scene is just in a loot box grump mode right now in general, so I think a lot of complaining about Eververse right now is piggybacking off that nerd rage, but it wouldnā€™t be inaccurate to say that there are more new Eververse items than there are regular loot drops added in this expansion. Havenā€™t seen that many Vex-themed things aside from shaders so far though. Those would have been nice drops in a Vex-themed raidā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Could be worse, go look at /r/destinythegameā€™s front page right now, I think weā€™re being pretty reasonable.

While the whole State of Destiny 2 blog post shit was going down last week, some raid team people tweeted that Bungie wasnā€™t going to be tracking World First for the raid lair. This irritated the big PvE clans and streamers, because World First is a big deal to them, and it also shows a lack of confidence that the new raid content is significant enough to be racing for. Today, Bungie ended up backtracking and saying that there will indeed be a race for World First, but way to kill the hype right while youā€™re trying to appease hardcore players.