Den of Screenshots (Part 1)

The localization is just really poor, with important plot scenes rendered unintelligible (the revelation in the cave, anything to deal with Beluga, you know, the main bad guy). However, I think the plot and scenarios underneath it is the closest they ever got to their mystic themes. The music makes a big difference too; unfortunately, Illusion of Gaia has to carry around terrible SNES horns everywhere it goes.

Terranigma drags in the back half. It’s something like 30 hours long but ought to be 20. I’m surprised you didn’t like the combat, though; while not very interesting on its own, I thought it was a step up in fluidity and impact over Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia.

1 Like

Robotrek is charming enough to be worth more than just sampling (its Japanese title is “Slapstick”, which is way better than “Robotrek”, which sounds like some mid-80s throwaway anime), and some of the environments look really nice. The Granstream Saga is awful, though. It feels and looks like garbage.

Robotrek_(SNES)_018

I always thought the IoG soundtrack sounded very derivative of the FFV soundtrack, I’m guessing it’s because of all of the fucking horns.

2 Likes

Ohhhh yeah, some of those dungeon and battle themes keep blaring. Illusion has at least a few extraordinarily good pieces though - besides the soulful sting of In the Earthen Womb, Clash of Light and Shadow (very horny) is supreme final boss songcraft. The phases it goes through, like a grand orchestra cousin of SoM’s Crisis.

Mid 90’s me would’ve taken like 25 hours to get through TN but referencing a few guides on building the towns and such, I did ~16.

2 Likes

Adjacently related, The 7th Saga remains some evil shit! I only beat it on a previous renter’s save. They’d been LUX TIZER THE TETSUJIN and about 80% through, copied the file, made my way.

SeventhSagaSoloLux

3 Likes

7th Saga is goddamn amazing.

3 Likes

Mystic Ark is even better! It’s structured as a plane-hopping game. There’s a desert world where everyone lives in beached sailing ships, including a ship full of pirate kitties, a watermelon world (the world is formed of watermelon, all houses are smaller watermelons atop it, probably spoons are watermelons of some sort too)

2 Likes

terranigma is easily the messiest and weirdest of the three games, is probably the “worst” in many regards, but also contains the most charm, the most poignant, touching, and disturbing moments of the series. the scale is enormous and it’s all done breathlessly enough to make it work. and it’s not like it’s “bad”, it’s just all over the place.

I wanna play it again soon tbh

2 Likes

Big, Large, Huge DQXI spoils but my choice of name really paid off here

6 Likes

8 Likes

ok i killed god, that was an ok 15 hours

this fuckin’ translation

11 Likes

13 Likes

Dusty old phone shots

5 Likes

Bean Problems

Arthur can eat infinite beans with no consiquence. The ultimate cowboy

7 Likes

Lightened and saturated for detail.

On a dark foggy night I hopped a train and while running down it’s length I discovered a car shooting sparks out of pools of blood on the roof. On interior inspection I found that the cause was these double spawned Z-fighting lanterns bouncing about wildly. The blood patch goes through the roof and is visible above them on the ceiling.

~ghost noises~

7 Likes

best horror game of 2018

2 Likes

Capture

12 Likes

7 Likes

0-beta-33 0-beta-34
old garbage mouth.

0-beta-37 0-beta-36 0-beta-20

10 Likes

TIL by accident that there’s an over the shoulder camera angle in Shin Megami Tensei 4 (and apocalypse?) if you press left on the d-pad in the field

10 Likes

yes it’s the only way to play imo??

1 Like