Den of Screenshots (Part 1)

Been thinking about that, wouldn’t a PC CRT displaying a higher resolution with a shader that makes every other scanline pure black achieve the same effect as trying to output 240p to it? As long as everything scales properly that is.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’m new to this whole 240p world. This guy has some pretty stunning results with 240p output @120hz via custom resolutions and retroarch on the same Lacie Monitor I picked up recently: https://imgur.com/a/EXPMb#FL35XOr

This looks like what you may want to go over then
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Display_FAQ#CRT_Monitors

Basic gist seems to be to make a custom SUPER wide resolution at 480p then use a shader that automatically adds the fake scanlines at 240p and deinterlaces 480i.

1 Like

noice

I’m not sure if it varies monitor to monitor but based on what I’ve seen on the monitor I have that will sync to both 15/31khz it looks very similar.

480p@60hz + software scanlines is going to give you a brightness drop. 240p@120hz will be noticeably brighter, but will be jerkier/have additional motion blur which you can counteract with black frame insertion, which MAME (not sure if only GroovyMAME or also in mainline) and Retroarch can both handle. Blackframe insertion will drop the brightness just like the software scanlines. 120hz will get you theoretically lower input lag, I guess.

I think the real trick is getting perfectly doubled accurate weird refresh rates, how much this matters etc., I’m not sure what the state of this kind of stuff is with Retroarch adding in MAME-esque Switchres-like stuff and I’ve never really thought too hard about it’s dynamic rate control there are only so many days in life, I think GroovyMAME will maybe handle it all correctly if you config your CRT_emudriver/VMMaker accordingly?.

I run my eMac, which only supports ~71khz signals, at like 256hz - it can’t sync up at any clean multiple of 60 and none of the PowerPC ports of MAME support black frame insertion anyway and I think it looks good.

2 Likes

bonus dlc content

19 Likes

Screenshot tax for derailing thread:

3 Likes

There’s an event going on and I’m losing it

1 Like

Auto Modellista looks good, and that’s it

15 Likes

This is the first screenshot I ever posted on Steam.

4 Likes

nice, here’s mine

3 Likes

Here’s mine

Posted Dec 30 2011

1 Like

just a tiny little baby i dont even know nothin.

10 Likes

“Big Baby Boi”

2 Likes

i forgot that ppsspp is fucking stupid and will capture the path in the screenshot if you take one before the message for the previous one disappears. because that’s totally how the screenshot function should work. so most of the screenshots i took are tarnished.

The president:

4 Likes

Just finished ECHO. Pretty unique in its puzzle stealth thriller ways, gets repetitive but I was engrossed enough to power through in a few couple hour sessions. There’s some neat concepts implied through the setting and universe spoken of outside. More cryptic food for thought than fulfillment at the end though, so I’m gonna need to digest.

Impressive game overall. Not pictured: killer clones and combat. Worth trying/the cost if you’ve been interested.

7 Likes

Yeah, ECHO is a better game than I was expecting. There are small bits of friction like occasionally getting caught on bodies or the environment, but it’s worth emphasizing that this game was made by ex-IO Interactive folk so you have an idea of the taste that went into making the game, and it’s nice seeing their art direction freed from the constraints of hard realism.

It’s on the same list as Vampyr for me of like “unusually big complex indies made by European teams which I’m really intrigued by but am afraid will be a slog to actually play”

I also don’t really like stealth even on a good day, my favourite part of Hitman is how it’s like the opposite of a stealth game

8 Likes

here’s the thing:

The pitch has been about the ‘learning AI’ system and that sounded stressful and not as interesting as they’d hope, but the game has been entirely walk & talk for the 2 hours I’ve put into it, and it’s a masterful tone control that IO has only glanced at. It’s a post-infinity humanity sitting between the bedroom at the end of 2001 and the landing scene in Alien. It’s about that infinite at the end of 2001 and the setting and most especially the tiling background art express infinity in a richer way than I’ve seen in almost anything.

Extremely recommended just for those 2 hours.

4 Likes

It has a huge scale vibe but the labyrinthine look is more style than level design, and they are as wide as they become familiar. You also experience most of the core gameplay loop in the first major area. Everything after is slight variations and complications of that, often having some new items to interact with.

Managing the type of actions you use during constant cycles of power on > crash-lights out > reboot creates a really different kind of tense and release. A friend watching kept saying I should slow down in certain areas and plan, but further and further in I thought that was even less of an option. Being forced to think more on the fly leads to intense deaths but also some skin of your teeth wins.

Yeah there’s no getting around this, I don’t think it is but the nature of the game veers close to monotony sometimes. I just enjoyed the odd allure and challenge enough to go full force.

I plan on getting to Hitman at some point, never played any of 'em!

1 Like