Den of Screenshots (Part 1)

Silent Hill 4 in pcsx2 at 8x internal resolution. I just got the widescreen patch working as well. PS2 games are tricky because they can benefit from both graphical enhancements and cleanup but might also look great with CRT filters and whatnot. Any good PS2 emulation tips?

9 Likes

dumped some games from my 3ds to fuck around with the new build of citra
turns out bravely default looks pretty good at a higher res

9 Likes

I was up in the middle of the night with insomnia and was in the mood for some time attack in Fast RMX. But while I was too awake to go back to bed, I was not awake enough to play the game effectively. Instead of trying to beat best times, I ended up driving slowly around the Mueller Pacific track to take a look at its sights.

Mueller Pacific twists through a series of buildings and platforms in the middle of an ocean. This setting seems to be a port. There are cargo containers, but I don’t see any ships.

Mueller PLS sponsors one of the playable vehicles, so maybe they also operate this port or sponsor this track in our Pacific Ocean or in a Pacific Ocean on a planet owned by Mueller.

I like the future architecture in this game, but I don’t have much to say about it.

These billboards cycle through some static, future ads.

This billboard loops a video of a woman diving into water.

Mueller Pacific has one of those underwater, glass tunnels that are so common in arcade-style racers, and here’s where things get interesting.

The interior of the glass reflects what looks like a 20th- or 21st-century, North American, urban skyline. You can see it in the previous screenshot too, but it is more distorted than in this image. These reflected buildings don’t correspond to anything above the surface of the water.

And there don’t seem to be any buildings visible in the waters outside the tunnel; all I’ve manage to pick out are fish and whales (not pictured), and some mysterious gray blocks in the distance.

I wonder then whether the reflected buildings are a holdover from a previous iteration of this stage, a mismatched asset used to create a ripply, reflective effect, or a ghostly reminder of a sunken, coastal city.

19 Likes

I had some Front Mission 3 screenshots lying around

15 Likes

This game has the internet in it, and in 2000, that was the coolest thing ever to me. And, not just like, some text saying you’re reading a BBS, but webpages and shit. It’s so rad.

Ryogo can fuck right off to the exit, though.

4 Likes

cross-posting from the racing game thread, these are too good not for mass consumption:

there’s a guy on my twitter timeline that’s been working on up-rezing/modding some ps2 initial D game?

he ran into a pretty cool glitch

(here are some pics that are not glitches, this is a beautiful game)

19 Likes

i think this game is…too realistic

6 Likes

Running in the ???

gaiapolis, arcade

9 Likes

7 Likes

17 Likes

Good god the Siren games look great.

3 Likes

HW rendering and upscaling gives some cool detail to the models, but it’s nearly unplayable with all the black lines and menu glitches.

Nearer to natural PS2 mode here looks perfectly dark and hazy anyways! I might play Siren 1 again afterwards, to compare scare levels in particular.

1 Like

horizon zero dawn

more games should let you set up the perfect lighting and camera angle and filters for your screenshots

6 Likes

Nvidia has their own new API to do just this for PC games!

2 Likes

Sure I only have like two of these on PC and one of them already features a freely rotating camera (and a snake) but nevermind that

1 Like

here are some shots from my pc engine instagram (instagram.com/devilsblush)

17 Likes

part 2

18 Likes

I love these so much that I got kind of emotional as I scrolled

4 Likes

there’s something that touches the heart about the pc engine, I spend a decent chunk of time each day scrolling back and forth through my feed admiring these games.

1 Like