Den of Screenshots (Part 1)

is this the pc version? the text looks very clean.

%20(J)040%20(J)041%20(J)042%20(J)043%20(J)044%20(J)045%20(J)046%20(J)047%20(J)048%20(J)049%20(J)050

%20(J)053
Oh, really, mom?

%20(J)054

14 Likes

this is more relatable than Iā€™d like to admit

I told this kid he should leave his brother to die in the desert because theyā€™d both die if he tried to carry him back, but then The Voice said I was a bully. What the fuck, man? And telling him he should most certainly walk to his death with his brother on his back gave me like, Kindly or something. So, I reset and got Lewd.

%20(J)001%20(J)002
%20(J)004%20(J)006%20(J)007

Eat shit, God! I was just being practical. If both go, both die. One goes, one dies but one probably lives! Come on! Donā€™t be a dick.

(Also, Rick becomes Dick all of a suddenā€¦ This translation really needed some proofreading)
%20(J)003

5 Likes

Those polys and text look very crisp. Is this still emulated?

Thatā€™s the PC version. The polys in high resolution stand out in a bad way against the filtered pre-rendered backgrounds so Iā€™m testing shaders to try to restore some uniformity. Iā€™m not loving how it looks but wonā€™t have the patience to mess around with it much more. Overall, I like this port

Are shaders a native feature of that version or do you need some third party program?

Harvey, it is with regret I have to tell youā€¦ you areā€¦ a heterosexual

1 Like

SweetFX with this dudeā€™s presets: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=668831565 then I toned things down and disabled his output level correction. I canā€™t really recommend my personal settings, havenā€™t put a lot of effort into it, just tried to make it look similar to that Retroarch one I use

1 Like

ps2 games I play upscaled and widescreen and after going from koudelka in retroarch to shadow hearts in pcsx2 I definitely had to switch on a scanline thing to try to do something about the prerendered backgrounds cause those did not look nice next to the character models

I was feeling like playing something low-effort and narrative, so I ran through Virginia yesterday

8 Likes

63_09032018_221853_0047
I always see a lot of people make their menu gradients in FFVII just these bright, hideous messes, so I decided to see if I could set the gradient to something cool. This was my favorite. I had gotten a kind of cool, muted dawn-ish look on the PSP, but I forgot what the values were.

17_24072017_192845_0348

17_14122017_191908_0384
Back when I was applying for my first job and then successive retail jobs, I would have to answer this exact question on every application several times a day.

17_14122017_191935_0385
Love always comes first, yo.

58_31122017_085927_016858_31122017_084709_0284
In Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Norikoā€™s JOKER form has its own bust shot, but they donā€™t use it in the actual game. I donā€™t think they even bothered doing one for the PSP port (which had slightly bigger, higher-quality bust shots). But I love JOKER Noriko. I wish her bust shot were in the PSP version so I could use it as an avatar.

Iā€™m just here for the :baby_chick:s

4 Likes

@alteredfish did you ever play breath of fire iv?

Iā€™m taking a BoF break, but Iā€™ll get to it soon. I was kinda let down by 3. To be specific, I was disappointed with how little the towns and places changed post-timeskip, which is a real crime to me

3 Likes

What started as a revisiting of Duke3D has somehow turned into a Build engine binge. Ion Maidenā€™s pre release ending up eerily well timed. Getting back to Redneck Rampage, I always forget about this instance of breaking the fourth wall for practical purposes at the chicken processing plant until I see it again.

11 Likes

man i donā€™t think a single of those square enix remakes or ports of their old titles to mobile phones and PCs have ever not looked like garbage and lost most of their original charm.

i was ranting in the ffxv thread too imo iā€™ve never seen a company that seems to have worse respect for their own ips, especially the landmark titles that game them their success and remains the best stuff in their catalog to this day

like that chrono trigger port is vomit inducing, it looks like some kid ported the game to flash in the early 2000s. the background and character tiles are upscaled using a terrible supereagle like filter, most of the vibrancy in the colors are gone, and they didnā€™t even give enough of a shit to pick something other than the default system font for the text. itā€™s horrendous, and how QA just looked at it and as was like, ā€œship it!ā€ is beyond me. and they ask 15$ for that steaming pile! at least the FF12 port came out mostly okay.

they really seem like a company that totally misunderstands why people like their work at all and i wonder how theyā€™re even still in business at times.

4 Likes

Somebody at Square-Enix saw the SuperEagle filter in an emulator and was apparently a big fan. The windows look like RPG Maker windows. Though, for the FF ports, I read that the person who drew those super-deformed pictures of the characters that appeared on some of the boxes/manuals is actually the person who did the modern port sprites? Maybe Iā€™m wrong.

Iā€™d totally pay maybe like, $3 for one or two of the iOS ports, especially for Romancing SaGa, but thereā€™s no way Iā€™d pay what they ask for them now. Itā€™s insane.

(I think SE should burst into flames, though. Their customer support is garbage, and why the fuck do they operate on banking hours?)

btw just took the image challenge and

this is all very in character

1 Like

The BachelorSoft Twitter had no hits for ā€œgirlsā€ which is as on-brand as it gets. Made me very proud of myself.

1 Like

just played a credit of a beat em up named legionnaire. itā€™s fun, but unremarkable. it looks pretty nice, too, and in the first two stages, has a pixel cityscape and in-game advertising for cabal and toki

3 Likes