Demonstrating Worth, 2016 - 20??

Make it rotatable on the guitar. Mount it over a washer and have a nut to clamp it down where you like it.

2 Likes

This is awesome. I spent too much time on tdpri one night and was convinced I could build a tele. I even bought the wood. Reality hit the next day so I made a shelf.

This is the dream.

2 Likes

Trundling towards done then

Neck grinding

Went for very slim - Ibanez Wizard-ish, plus a teardrop taper along the top edge so I might actually be able to wrap my stubby little thumb over for once

Pup hole

Couple cavity plates

Another experiment - creating an under-bridge basin for a brass (or steel or glass or granite) chunk, maybe it does something interesting to the string behaviour

Harderwood rim for tidyness

Some 240 grit sanding later

Ah ah ah - wait for the cream

8 Likes

I have these freaky long fingers so puttings the thumb over are my favorite chord positions, so comfy.

1 Like

Shoulda done a compound radius too really, this one’s a straight 12"

Next time, I guess

Ah hobbyism yes that

Weather got good enough recently so uh egg whites as grain filler because I could??

On with carpaint

Colour code J4J4 = Seat’s “Glam Beige” ftr

Needs some dots

Gets some

Bunch of clear coats

Now curing off indoors
Still think it might not be quite pale enough but I’ll see in a couple weeks

10 Likes

In the last couple years I manage to:

• Fuck up the clear coats several times
  • Fuck up the finish around the pickup hole and neck pocket when I discovered I’d put too much shit on and now couldn’t actually attach the neck or get the pickup in
  • Abandon further work for months at a time for being too down to get into a cold shed

This weekend, the beginning of the end though. Am at the buffing/polishing stage. I think. Still some blemishes in the colour, fuck it

7 Likes

Shit I just picked up my guitar last night after not touching it for 2 years

Good guitar vibes

1 Like
  • my neck pickup stopped working about a week ago, gotta get under there and figure that out
  • I think I might just bite the bullet and also order some tools and wire from amazon to do a refret and then return the tools afterwards
  • godspeed

Fucked it again, more touch ups this weekend
Great hobby though

4 Likes

tfw you’re finally done polishing and are ready to bolt a thing back together but now cannot fucking remember what on earth scale length you measured and cut this thing for in the first place so have no idea if it’ll ever do a tune

5 Likes

29"

coulda worked this out quicker had it dawned on me the first notch in my special straightedge is a fret 0 not fret 1, muppet

anyway this thing’s getting tuned to a very throaty b, and i may have to learn some subspecies of ulp, djenting

5 Likes

strung it all back up today
bar the g string (well, d string) popping out its slot all the time and something buzzing down by the 9th fret this is gonna work after all

6 Likes

real close to done now, just a day or so of fucking around with soldering irons left

6 Likes

ahh final setup, this white whale is nigh 'pooned i tell thee

learns:

• every time i think conductive paint is a better idea than foil i actually have to use the horrible thick smudgy dread ichor to remind myself no, it is really not
  • zexcoil pups want to be way closer to the strings than you could typically get away with on a fender type object
  • bakelite will always be kind of hazy whatever thousands of grit you rub on the stuff
  • for the love of all things fuck, test complicated-simple genius paintwork scheme on some scrap before falling down a pit it takes literal years to crawl up out of
  • the neck can always go narrower, i promise
  • having your most fragile string having to travel greatest distance to tuner is probably not ideal, hendrix was right, flip that shit
5 Likes

some audio hence

22 Likes

Looks fantastic.

Reminds me of this beautiful fretless Godin:

i mean it’s basically a huge swipe of larry graham’s moon
next on my to-do is in fact a fretless job lol

2 Likes

I’ve had this tab open all day cuz I keep going back to look at this, to admire it, because it is so hot.

1 Like

cool dude and congrats