DEATHLOOP ⏳

getting to some of the lore dumps, think I’m nearing the end

continuing to reinforce that this game was very well conceived, unusually so – they obviously wanted the narrative to reflect the mechanics in various ways, and it seems like the teams were all talking to each other, and had enough time and money, to meet halfway and get something very coherent out the door. it’s fairly impeccably scoped in addition to being very confidently derivative, though the overreliance on quest flags rather than actual problem solving or skill checks (the invasions do wonders for them in terms of keeping it tense) is, as others mentioned, probably their one perennial design problem they’ve yet to solve.

getting powerful enough to attempt an endgame run is a bit of a nuisance but honestly only a small one, they were very conscientious about stuff like that.

3 Likes
1 Like

Now that I’m bearing in mind the twist with Binfinite on the brain, the timey-wimey anomalous objects definitely reinforce it.

I tried playing with a DualSense and I have mixed feelings about it. Controllers no longer feel more relaxed, especially this one. The rat-tat-tat of the pistol and haptics for footsteps are taking me out rather than pulling me in. And it’s odd that there are no haptics for the melee because I feel like sound design and animation don’t quite do enough to sell it in any game even if Arkane are the best at it.

My PC peripherals are a 60g mouse and a keyboard I’ve modified to feel like light and springy like a latex pillow. They fade away and help me stop paying attention to what’s past the edges of my monitor. I think I would love this kind of feedback in VR but it’s jarring on a flat display.

4 Likes

Yeah for all its fancy gimmicks I think the dual sense is a step down in all things except sony’s margins on accessories

I guess there’s no more obnoxiously bright led light bar on the front but that just means I still have to whip out a ds4 to use psvr so nevermind that’s a step down too

5 Likes

This game just got a big update that, among other things, made NPC AI “smarter”. I just played a bit and I’ve noticed that dudes are much more persistent and directed when they notice you. They’ll kind of mob whatever point you were last spotted at. I really didn’t mind the dumb NPCs the game had before, but I guess the developers caved to the gamer discourse. I don’t think this necessarily makes the game worse though, just a little harder.

3 Likes

https://bethesda.net/en/article/E1GQNUk9ARha3zDoIkuTM/deathloops-free-goldenloop-update-new-ability-weapon-crossplay-and-much-more

1 Like

I was gonna say, maybe they could work on a better ending rather than packaging abilities I already wasn’t using or adding an enemy that’ll be as dumb as the others but I guess they are taking care of that too. It’s one year too late for me though, I’m not gonna reinstall it just for that.

Yeah it’s not a good incentive for me to install the game again, maybe it’s fine their heart isn’t in it in that way though. I had my fun already.

I tried this game out last night. I’m glad the difficulty is not too high because I’m not very good at games in this format. I hope I don’t have to use those dodge and slide moves at any point.

It was disappointing to hear the protagonist say some variant of “That just happened” within the first minute or two, but I agree with you that it never gets so bad that it totally ruins the experience. I’m always hoping to find good writing in video games where the characters talk a lot, despite being let down so many times.

I played longer than I’d intended to because every time I tried to quit the game warned me that I was going to lose my progress. I have no idea whether the checkpoints are per scene or per loop, so I might have lost a bunch of progress when I finally did exit. I guess I’ll find out when I resume.

2 Likes