Death Stranding šŸ‹

Isnā€™t it weird that mass commercial art lives in here? The type of endeavour we think of as speech, as an individualistic statement ā€“ thatā€™s the Canonical Art ā€“ but the art that people want in their daily lives is Product and Product can be (semi)efficiently made by armies of (semi)skilled labor.

That isnā€™t really true though; thatā€™s an artifact of technology more than demand. People still want art to hang on their walls, novels, and op-ed columns.

Fair enough.

The patina of mass appeal creates a similar deadening effect once it gets to the viewer as mass construction

Lol ok, Iā€™ll work on that for you

Here is a very helpful primer on avoiding ableist language: http://www.autistichoya.com/p/ableist-words-and-terms-to-avoid.html

6 Likes

Iā€™m not going to be able to give up ā€˜idiotā€™ very easily gotta say

2 Likes

use whatever words you want, buddy, thatā€™s not your problem

ā€œHEY I THINK THIS PERSON IS ACTUALLY JUST AN IDIOTā€ followed by ā€œNO WAIT GUYS I MEANT HEā€™S AUTISTIC I THOUGHT IT WAS OBVIOUS TO EVERYONEā€

not a good look

Ugh sorry Iā€™m the worst

4 Likes

Just like a polite southerner trying not to say ā€œJesus Christā€ and instead saying ā€œJiminy Christmasā€, the trick is to find words that start with the same sounds so you can correct mid-word.

That list is good, itā€™s got a bunch of non-ableist words at the bottom. Ignoramus is a good one for the noun version, and Insipid or Inane is good for using it as an adjective.

I say this because Iā€™ve been trying to replace a bunch of words in my vocabulary and this list is great. Thanks @la_ciel!

1 Like

Yes, thanks @la_ciel

ā€œdipshitā€ is always good

ā€œdipshit savantā€ is actually beautiful

7 Likes

Turns out most words for belittling people have bad history behind them. That article rules because it gives you some words that just imply the personā€™s voluntarily Not Good.

If you abstain from the r, b, c, or n-words, you should probably shoot to cut out lame, imbecile, etc. too.

2 Likes

you can also call someone a cock or a putz

comparing someone directly to male genitalia remains richly evocative and, necessarily, fair game

Yeah, I am regularly fascinated by the fleixibility of using male genetalia as an insult and occasionally a begruding compliment.

1 Like

yes, you can land some more than glans-ing blows, if you take my meaning

3 Likes

Donā€™t thank me, thank @count_slackula

All I did was get pissy on the Internet

3 Likes

Iā€™m v into the idea that our matching avatar aesthetics caused confusion.

4 Likes

Love that in our Kojima thread everyone is actively trying to a better person.

5 Likes

thatā€™s exactly what happened, oops. Thanks!!!

2 Likes

ā€œIdiotā€ is so far removed from what it once meant linguistically that I donā€™t see any problem in using it, but ā€œidiot savantā€ is definitely ehhhhh

4 Likes

not me :waynestare: