Death Stranding šŸ‹

ok but none of those things mean he didnā€™t think really hard about it anyway. iā€™m not introducing value judgments into any of this

1 Like

I understand itā€™s your contention but can you substantiate this in any way besides ā€œJust a Feelingā€ because so far all youā€™ve done is demonstrated that he makes dumb tweet and reiterated a premise. Like if you canā€™t point to specific stuff within his work and the dev process why is this a conversation

ā€œI donā€™t think thatā€™s his concernā€

Ok, but is it his concern or not

2 Likes

Please stop fighting everyone itā€™s christmas

4 Likes

26 Likes
1 Like

Ok, so everyone here seems to be getting a lot of mileage out of my posting some of his old tweets. I donā€™t think I ever explicitly stated that a tweet was the sole reason for our difference of opinion did I? I posted them for the hell of it, because Kojima is a guy who unabashedly loves Dan Brown books and thinks about boobs when he sees eggs benedict. I think thatā€™s who he actually is, youā€™ll have to give me some time to comb through his entire oeuvre to prove definitively that is the case.

I feel differently about his work than you do. I think his games are equally ham-fisted garbage and uncanny works that elevate the medium. I think his games lack focus at times because heā€™s more interested in unpacking his influences than creating a cohesive experience.

I tend to value cohesive experiences more because they require a greater level of skill and focus. Iā€™ve praised Kojima several times already in this thread, so I donā€™t understand the mild hostility Iā€™m receiving for simply stating my uncontroversial and widely held opinion.

Well.

Just clearing up, I meant this is a prevalent hater stance towards Hideosyncracies.

you drew a straight line between his tweets and his creative output and invited us to assume apparently forgone conclusions from this observation

nobody said otherwise, though, and youā€™re the only one arguing taste. this isnā€™t even the conversation.

you said death stranding isnā€™t about anything and nothing kojima makes is about anything because he likes dumb shit so heā€™s dumb and just wants to remind us of the dumb shit the likes. Iā€™m saying itā€™s inarguable that everything kojima does is or is meant to be About Something and that is entirely separate from whether or not that makes them any good. youā€™re supporting your conclusion with the wrong argument, is all

I mean itā€™s easy enough to criticize his games without even needing to misrepresent them. re: his relationship with fandom and mimicry, sure, mg1+2, snatcher and policenauts were absolutely just ā€œwhat if movies I like were a gameā€. but by mgs1, 20 years ago, he was already repurposing his influences into their own identity and moralizing about it, and I donā€™t think david bowie references have much to do with the way things turned out from there. regardless, they can be more than one thing at once: considered and messy, self-interested and appropriative, meditative and base

not sure what a ā€œcohesive experienceā€ entails in this context, though, so who knows

2 Likes

honestly the main thing one can learn from Kojimaā€™s tweets is that dude is fucking down for whatever with Mads Mikkelsen

and like

that, to me, is the mark of artistic genius

12 Likes

I wonder if this trailer has any interesting synch-up points in it like the last two had

Same.

Also:
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/940881910158544896

unfortunately more money means more people and above 20 people you have 10 different departments making 10 different games that are hopefully aware of each other

The skill of shepherding a strong voice through a >$20 million budget is underrated; it was hugely responsible for killing Japanese AAA production from 2005-on.

Kojimaā€™s one of less than 10 people in the world who can do that in a game this big, and thatā€™s important because even though heā€™s a mess heā€™s so interested in creating games about everything that itā€™s the only time I get that encompassing Great Novel feeling ā€“ these are games about everything and everything stupid on his mind and itā€™s a different feeling when youā€™re in that world for dozens of hours compared to the scope of a smaller-budgeted game

8 Likes

So I just have to be a nosy micromanager, no sweat

A pleasure even

1 Like

Sometimes I envy my boss the design director, who spends the whole day talking shop to people, working things out. But he never gets to touch the real numbers and massage it himself. His hands are bound. So much is reliant on getting it exactly right (e.g., Jaime Griesemerā€™s famous talk about 0.2 seconds being critical in balancing Halo) that I would find that infuriating. And our game has sloppy parts because not everyone knows everything and not everyone is as picky as I am! And weā€™re focused on procedural systems interactions, and we have the massive headache of open world, and, and, and

Plus heā€™s responsible for all the paperwork stuff the Creative Director sloughs off onto him

Surely some of the problems could be alleviated by improving the production process?
Encourage communication between departments, streamline the content pipeline, foment a culture of sharing project status early and oftenā€¦?

I mean, Iā€™m aware Iā€™m not the first person on earth to think this, itā€™s just that I wonder how much of wrangling a big budget creative project is due to the frictions inherent to managing a big organization, and if that can be massaged somewhat.

I work with like 30 other people at a business much less complicated than game design

And still, nobody seems to know what anybody else is doing

I suspect that organization is the biggest obstacle to uh

every human endeavor

3 Likes

Our codeshop definitely knows what everyone else is doing but thereā€™s only like 6/7 devs on the payroll and we (try to) run Agile so itā€™s not actually hard

1 Like

One of the many things I like about my job is I do it all by myself, basically.

Most worthwhile human endeavors, however, can only be accomplished by cooperation, which requires organization. In general people donā€™t talk enough about the effects of bureaucracy except as vague complaints, though as a newly important social phenomenon it preoccupied a lot of eminent 20th-c. thinkers.

1 Like

I donā€™t feel like being explicitly that girl today, but this stuck out to me

maybe think a little more before you say things like this

5 Likes