Death Stranding 🐋

When you learn the truth behind whatever the hell is happening in this game, you will be ashamed.

5 Likes

The dialogue could be the script for Angels and Demons run through babelfish and back and it wouldn’t change a thing from what we’ve seen. I’m here for KojiPro (all of them) letting their freak flag fly. It looks like they’re making their long take nightmare music video the way they want to.

1 Like

not to jump on the person being negative about kojima in the kojima thread but “I’ve done the calculations and reverse engineering from their works and actually this person is not as smart or cool as they think are” is the least interesting thing in the world to me and it seems to happen every “auteur type person that college bros like too much” thread. I don’t get this way of thinking about these people. there’s plenty of real reasons to not like kojima games if you want. who gives a shit about a directors perceived versus actual measured Power, Courage and Heart stats

13 Likes

No, I’m not doing that. I’m simply saying there is no “there” there with Kojima’s games. He’s simply a guy who tweets about Eggs Benedict looking like boobs:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/358265892175495169

I think he’s an incredible game designer but I don’t think there’s any deeper meaning within his work. It’s the same thing with watching David Lynch films; they’re both guys who have some vague knack for combing disparate influences into an interesting experience, but searching for any intellectual nourishment is pure coincidence and not the product of Hideo Kojima the “auteur”. Again, he’s the fucking guy who tweets about boobs and seems to enjoy drinking champagne and living the good life.

I’m really excited about this game though and glad we have a guy like him with a budget because I’d rather not play bullshit like Horizon Zero Dawn as my yearly AAA game.

ban this sick fi

2 Likes

isn’t it possible that slamming disparate things together without a clear idea as to what they mean is a form of genius? if anybody could do it we’d all do it

I’m pretty sure the Thing with the Title is “Cetacean Stranding sounds a little too weird + clinical, not broadly dramatic, etc.”

how is a boob tweet or liking Dan Brown supposed to preclude there being meaning?

2 Likes

Dense, indulgent collections of imagery are just as fun to unpack as carefully constructed “meaningful” art, and anyway all it takes for a creator to blur the line is confident bullshitting

1 Like

Can’t believe I’m being forced to defend Kojima, what a world

@jodeaux just to be clear here is what you’re saying

1: the full extent of Kojima’s mental capabilities as a human and creative person, whether in a singular or synthetic capacity, are limited to his tweets and basically any vox-pop thing he throws out
2: works cannot “truly” mean anything if they are broad and do not explicitly establish an ‘objective’ authorial Meaning within the work
3: anyone who finds intellectual value in Kojima and co.'s works – and it should be noted that however much you put “auteur” in quotes yourself you still seem to be coming at this from the angle that you fully know how Kojima has contributed to every game he has directed – is deluding themselves

What a mess

1 Like

well and the thing is that 95% of what’s in a metal gear is in service of Big Themes thoroughly explicated throughout, so where is this characterization even coming from

things are going to get really awkward 30 hours in when the fetus develops a voice and starts mouthing off unintelligible abortion-related monologues

5 Likes

Yeah I think MGS2 is one of the most obviously thematic videogames I’ve ever played

1. No, I just thought the tweet was funny and stupid but I also think Kojima is genuinely amused by his joke.

2. No, I don’t think this. My contention is that any “meaning” within his work is coincidence and not the product of meticulous planning like you might find in a Souls game. That’s not to say Kojima’s games can’t contain some deeper subtext, but I don’t think that’s his concern as a creative person, so we should stop giving him credit as such.

3. I don’t think anyone is deluding themselves in terms of what they get out of the game itself, but if they’re of the belief that Kojima is some creative mastermind who thinks deeply about his games, then I think they’re mistaken.

I will freely admit, my analysis is pure speculation meant for forum fodder. I’m reading each response with curiousity because I thought it was fairly obvious Kojima is an idiot savant.

Gimme Koj’s obscene budgets and I’ll certainly give it my best mash

4 Likes

Brooks, I will play this game. I will write for this game.

Jesus, think of what SB could do with that budget.

2 Likes

And let me be clear - this will not be horny media

It may be the least horny media project of all

10 Likes

i’m trying to figure this out because it doesn’t really sound like you’re familiar with him or his work at all. like even if you osmosed an impression of him from the greater internet that wouldn’t really make sense because kojima’s entire cult of personality with gamers is centered around him being precisely “a creative mastermind who thinks deeply about his games that always have deeper subtext”

and that can be gross, and you can say that kojima’s work is not half as clever as it thinks it is, or whatever, if you want, but “masterminding”, “thinking deeply”, and “having subtext” are definitely the things kojima is always trying to do whether you believe he greatly succeeds at that or not. you can’t have a conversation about what he does or doesn’t do well without first acknowledging the most basic characteristics of his work

SELECT BUTTON
this will (not) be horny

4 Likes

I don’t think he succeeds at any of the things you listed above. This is not an attack on your sensibilities in the least, it’s simply my interpretation of his work in comparison to other noted directors like Hidetaka Miyazaki; Kojima’s work in comparison seems sloppy, incoherent, unfocused and verbose.

However, if he was allowed to finish Metal Gear V, I think my opinion might be more favorable. That game is incredible at moments but I don’t think it was anywhere near completion, which really bums me out.