Death Stranding šŸ‹

kojimaā€™s whole thing is that heā€™s a willfully indulgent overthinker; if the title is clumsy itā€™s because heā€™s actually trying too hard to say something clever and falling all over himself in that pursuit (also, you know, not being a native english speaker), not that he picked words out of a hat. you can apply this to everything he does.

i donā€™t know what getting people heā€™s excited to work with in the game has to do with its coherency

heā€™s been trying and threatening to make anything other than metal gear for as long as heā€™s been making metal gear and itā€™s way off the mark to figure that heā€™s suddenly lost without it and just cobbling shit together in haste. haste reflected in, uh, barely talking about or showing anything in the two+ years since he left to work on this.

final fantasy xv is great

12 Likes

re: the playable bit in the trailer: i think we can just take from this that mgs5ā€™s prologue chapter was him trying to figure out where he wants to go with cutscene direction, doesnā€™t necessarily tell us anything about how it will fundamentally work As A Game

1 Like

I thought people mostly liked this and felt like it was the best FF in a while

2 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to dampen anyoneā€™s excitement at all. However, letā€™s not forget that this is the man that was gushing about how great Dan Brown books were with Tim. There is no high-level concept here, Kojimaā€™s is simply a glorified nerd with a short attention span.

I thought that was a joke. Is it true?

Oblivion is one of Miyazakiā€™s favorite games

Souls/BB games confirmed to be garbage heaps

5 Likes

yes lets

definitely

not forget some thing tim said once

it was a joke. iā€™m absolutely sure kojima loves dan brownā€™s movies regardless, though. how couldnā€™t he.

anyway you seem to be operating from the idea that kojimaā€™s trademark is being lolrandom rather than the opposite problem being that he overextends himself. working backwards to explain why you donā€™t like or get what youā€™ve seen so far, the assumption must be that none of it was ā€œcarefully plannedā€ because obviously if it was then it would be Good, as if that necessarily follows. what a weird argument to unpack

1 Like

this is what all my favourite itchio games are like and i love it. Let someone with a budget do it too.

2 Likes

love to find out what reason actors get hired for other than someone liking their face

2 Likes

One of my major problems with Metal Gear Solid 5 was that the characters are barely coherent as ā€œpeopleā€ so much as walking theme dispensers. The themes may well be ideas grabbed out of a hat at random, but the game did not treat them disposably or whimsically; it took those themes and hammered on them over and over to the point that none of the characters felt like people so much as monologue delivery devices. This is what Iā€™m afraid of seeing happen in this game.

2 Likes

my hot take on MGSV (and to some extent also MGS4) is that a lot of it was Kojima trying to say ā€œPlease stop liking this so I can do something elseā€

Didnā€™t work though, I liked them both. Although Mt. Snakemore was just kinda ā€œI canā€™t even pretend this isnā€™t stupidā€

4 Likes

Even as mega amalgamator
Awkward auteur
With new freedoms and yes potentially bloating new levels of esteem

Itā€™s too easy to just ascribe Kojimaā€™s new baby as learning to speak purely from garbling its inspirations.

1 Like

This is right next to my school.

8 Likes

Oblivion owns so this explains a lot imo

4 Likes

i like learning that because of how much dark souls eats oblivions lunch

This is like the best possible kojima game timeline

4 Likes

Youā€™re assuming quite a bit there. First off, it was not a joke. Iā€™ve heard Tim recall the story several times without his brand of knowing irony.

I only bring it back up to highlight the fact that Hideo Kojima is an idiot. Thatā€™s not to say he doesnā€™t make interesting games but he is not operating on some higher plane of existence. His games have ā€œconcernsā€ and he certainly has his fetishes but they donā€™t signify anything other than than tired ā€œauteuristā€ tropes that have filtered down from the movies he likes. Does anyone else read his column on Glixel?

Then again,

I was reading some interview with Kojima the other day about Death Stranding which explained the rain in the trailer is called Timefall, and itā€™s something special that makes you age faster like what happened to the guy in the trailer. The interviewer posited to Kojima the connection between the Timefall and the tears we saw streaming down Reedusā€™s face but Kojima explained ā€œno, he was crying because he was sad.ā€

5 Likes

If it were always easy to delineate Real Tim from Fake Tim I donā€™t think we wouldā€™ve ever had these interpretive conflicts, and yet they happened/happen all the time. I like Tim but Iā€™m not going to implicitly trust the accuracy of his Dev Lore especially when it was often deployed simply for narrative effect in his older articles

tbh after reading over your posts Iā€™m not sure what your argument is here except that you think Kojima is a dumbo which okay, youā€™re entitled to think that, but are you trying to draw some absolute line between the quality of a personā€™s character or persona and their work, because if so you have a whole masterā€™s thesis to write

8 Likes