Death Stranding šŸ‹

I feel like we must of had a the troops post way back when that could of been the actual design document for this game

3 Likes

bodybag skull was gold, not diamond-encrusted, but my hope this is a stealth sequel to 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand remains unsnuffed

6 Likes

I think the noisy spotlight-y backpack sensor things were specifically to demonstrate that light and sound are not what these Things track

5 Likes

So at PSX it was mentioned that the underwater part of this trailer was playable. Maybe itā€™s an Aquanautā€™s Holiday/Everblue-like?

Dang I really, really liked that new trailer. I donā€™t really care how interactive the game ends up being I just want to find out more about what is going on in such a crazy world like that.

1 Like

That sure is a Letā€™s Play Iā€™ll watch one of you do if you promise not to talk over it

6 Likes

That would be a longplay! [/pedantic]

Actually I never realized that was part of the distinction between the two so thanks for that

1 Like

One of things I did when bored was classify the different genres of game videos.

• Superplay: High skill play, unassisted. Usually to show off difficult techniques or get a very high score
  • Speedrun: High skill play optimizing specifically for completion speed.
  • TAS: Tool assisted speedrun. Same goal as a speedrun but aided by tools and scripts to optimize beyond human skill.
  • Longplay: Longform gameplay video without commentary, typically aiming to show as much of the game as possible yet not necessarily aiming for 100% completion. Moment to moment, it reflects the most common way a player would go through the game
  • Letā€™s play: Longform play accompanied with commentary. Usually audio but sometimes text or video annotations. Typically the aim is to beat the game and talk about it.

I may be forgetting one or two types. Of course, there are partial playthroughs, ā€œfirst lookā€ videos, streams etc but Iā€™m considering full playthroughs only.

3 Likes

All the longplays (c/o World Of Longplays) I have seen have been perfect runs - I donā€™t think the platonic longplay is really a representation of the average

(The exception being vert-STGs, I guess?)

Perfect runs as in completionist? I guess it probably depends a lot on the genre.

Iā€™ve seen playthroughs of adventure games/rpgs that canā€™t be 100% because the player either skips some of the less-interesting NPC dialog or they simply canā€™t show everything in a single playthrough due to branching decisions and so on.

Perfects runs as in no-miss

Ah, fair enough. I was thinking in terms of pacing and speed.

Itā€™s true that dventure game playthroughs for example arenā€™t blind and the player already knows how to solve all puzzles etc

where would you say this falls:

Even from the beginning, Death Stranding to me has seemed to me more a game about Kojimaā€™s whims than anything else. You could level this claim against any one of his games but this one, in particular, has that element to such a degree that I think it might be a disaster on par with FFXV.

I think the title is nothing more than an interesting combination of words to him. I think he likes Norman Reedusā€™ face, so he put him in the game. I think he likes Mads Mikkelsenā€™s face, so he put him in the game. I think in the wake of his firing from Konami, he hastily put together a game culled from his interests in pop culture, rather than something he carefully planned.

Again, I realize this is his MO but some creators need restraint instead of free reign to do whatever they want. Kojima in particular could benefit from some restraint because this is looking like a mess.

Iā€™m not getting that vibe at all.

In fact, I think this last trailer may show a lot more Del Toro influenceā€¦ I wonder how much input he has in the project.

Of course, itā€™s pretty much all speculation at this point.
Also, Kojima still doesnā€™t have unlimited budget

I donā€™t know. I canā€™t see shit nor hear much in that video.

But if itā€™s intentional, I guess the genre would be ā€œbullshitā€

1 Like

2010: Press X to jump into mass grave
2017: Press X to examine esophageal fetus

1 Like

Pretty sure thereā€™s some shifting into parallel dimensions type stuff

Plus dream sequences?

1 Like