critically maligned games that are (or you think might be) actually classics

I made a similar Galaxy Oddity thread that will have some good games for this topic I think.

In my case, I adore Operation Darkness, a completely-overlooked X360 WW2 tactics RPG where you and your squad of werewolves, pyrokinetics, and horror literature icons take on Vampire Hitler.

There’s two super-notable things about it:

• When you miss, it calculates a new hit spot. Bullets don’t just completely whiff, they fly off and hit something. This means you can shoot a rocket at a guy, whiff completely, and instead blow up the guard tower behind him.
  • The “Cover” system, which is basically Overwatch from nuXCOM if it pumped up at the gym. You can do a traditional Overwatch - Cover Attack I believe - but also you can “Cover Move” (move to specified location when the trigger condition is met) and “Cover Assist” (join with a teammate to shoot at the same target when they do). It creates these intricate levels where you’re setting up your soldiers to do proper reactions, so instead of centering “what can I do”, you’re thinking “what’s the AI going to do.” Really good stuff.
8 Likes