Core Keeper (New Terraria-Like) ⛏

While I was extending my mine cart track, I found several new deposits to drill, a cluster of multiple copper and iron ones. I don’t really need the resources (unless I want to go for portals at some point) but I couldn’t resist. Because the mechanical arms are not smart, I had to snake my conveyor belts around so the two resource types stayed separate.

(I guess it wouldn’t have mattered had they all gone into a chest, but I like to set up a furnace at the point of mining so I can just drop by and pick up the bars.)

I now have easy mine cart access to the ocean area and the magma area (east and west).

3 Likes

I made a walk-in freezer.

6 Likes

im back in this game, i started a new world and new character and have so far beaten 5 of the 10 bosses. i think there’s 10 at least?

anyway it’s pretty good. my base is better organized than my first run so it’s a lot less cumbersome to like, unload all my junk and make new stuff. they made some serious improvements in the past year though:

• Anvils and crafting tables let you choose what rank you want to use, i.e. if you have an iron crafting table, you can also use it as a copper crafting table and a wooden crafting table. previously you would have had to keep all three around, and there are 8 tiers of this stuff in total so it got really annoying after a while
  • they added pets!! these are super helpful in combat which is, as far as i’m concerned, the weakest part of the game. it’s nice to be able to pay less attention to it honestly
  • seems like there is a lot more varied equipment, which is really cool
  • i don’t know if upgrading equipment was possible before but it is now, and it makes all that old equipment much more viable.
  • they added some lower tier items for automation, specifically a “slow drill”. previously you’d craft the table to make automated stuff, then you couldn’t actually make any of it because all of it was too high tier

anyway, on to the last boss that i am aware of, and then we’ll see if the 4 other bosses are post-game or more integrated into the main game. I’m trying to do this run totally wiki-free and I’m well beyond what I learned before, so a lot of this is new and exciting. I beat the water boss on my first try too, very proud of that. Although it was close and i chugged like 20 potions lol.

The Steam Deck is great for this kinda stuff…

2 Likes

Maybe the pet feature will enable me to beat the ocean boss, which is the roadblock I’d encountered. I saw that they released another major biome, so I need to jump back in the game anyway at some point and look at that.

1 Like

I played this last night for the first time in a while. I didn’t figure out how to get a pet, but I did find the new biome and I like it. I was immediately confronted with something that didn’t look dangerous but was and then something that did look dangerous but wasn’t.

They’ve also made some other welcome changes, such as no longer distinguishing between wall and floor blocks. I’d always wished it were that way.

With a new ore level, maybe I’ll be able to beat the ocean boss the next time I try it.

Edit: I finally beat the ocean boss, using my same old weapon. I did discover how to get a pet, but that didn’t make much difference here.

I also captured several giant pill bugs and spent too much time setting up an auto-feeding system on a little island I made for them. (If you feed them, they produce the carapace shells used to make some types of armor.)

How it works:

Small bugs sometimes emerge from wood when it’s chopped. My drills cut the wood as it grows and the small bugs crawl under the gaps between the trunks, at which point the giant pill bugs eat them. A glass floor prevents the wood from growing downward.

3 Likes

I’d intended to just explore the new biome a little, but it seems I’m addicted to this game again. The addition of glass as a material has me redesigning parts of my base. (That was always my favorite material to work with in Terraria.)

The pill bugs I mentioned above are now multiplying.

Looks like they are finally about to leave early access.

2 Likes

i do have this flagged to check out once early access ends. not that i even know if that’s a legitimate approach to things like this but

no i think it’s a good idea, it’s missing the last story boss despite having 3 (4?) optional bosses already. i got very annoyed when i discovered that recently

1 Like

yeah when i’m looking at any given newish maybe-trashy multiplayer thing to play with the buds (shout out @zombieman000) i have to do a minor research project to figure out if the game in question is actually done and/or if it’ll ever be done and/or if “done” matters for that specific game. and there’s so much variance from thing to thing

2 Likes

I barely pay attention to the bosses in these games. As many hours as I put into Starbound, I probably didn’t get halfway through the storyline.

In Terraria, I think I’d fought just one or two bosses, despite having played it a lot, until the day we set up a SB world and I tagged along with a group to fight the last few. There may be some in between that I never saw.

1 Like