Cool articles thread

depraved

4 Likes

def. begged my dad for the same for hourly-rate AOL, though

Not for the squeamish

4 Likes

i knew someone who was friends with a guy whose job it was to strategically execute / mass murder seagulls in seattle to keep the population at a reasonable level and now in combination with this article i’m just always going to think of it as a centre of mass predation

which i guess fits? idk seattle is otherwise fairly chill, but it does always strike me as a city that is kind of teeming with life. i like cities like this, which remind us that even though we think of urban environments as mainly human places they are always full of other kinds of life too. edmonton has this aspect to it but the natural areas are typically well isolated from the more developed parts. but there are tons of rabbits and occasionally you see a coyote wandering around the street.

it does strike me that hunting and killing various urban wildlife is basically the least interesting way to understand an urban ecosystem from a non-human perspective. i’ve always wanted to know more about how animals navigate cities, and what use things like roads and tunnels are to them in addition to all of their other methods to get from one place to another.

i guess the human perspective is kind of the point of that article, though, not getting away from it

1 Like

I was all in at first but the author really started to lose me when he started to use bad faith arguments to justify his choices and claim moral superiority.

Amazingly the end of the article was unironically « While you were partying I studied the Hunt, and now that the Big One is at the door you have the audacity to ask for help? »

4 Likes

What a stupid article. It reminds me of the wispy-haired guy walking his black dog who came up to me the morning I found a dead doe on my bus line. We pulled it off to the side and I joked about scavenging it. The dumb, entrepeneurial grin on his face as he agreed. A young woman watched us disgusted. But you wanna keep an eye out for worms, right? To him it was a good afterthought. It was the difference between a functioning human being and one who sees ticky roadkill as a coupon to fleshpots. But at least that guy was full of smiles and didn’t write an article bragging about being a bad shot.

i can do a magic trick where i can guess someone’s race by whether or not they went to jail / died for shooting a gun in a public park

but uh, otherwise i actually found the article kind of thought provoking

uncultivated forestland Seattle biomish can probably support approx. 1 person/km if they really know how to make the most of their foraging opportunities so mathematically I think this is about the imagined inevitability of cannibalism in “eviscerated” Seattle?

1 Like

Yeah the "we’ in that excerpt doesn’t equate to very many people, and not because of the author’s presumption that people couldn’t manage to kill and eat animals out of desperation.

Also I can’t imagine wanting to eat any animals that live in a city because I can only imagine how badly contaminated their whole diets are.

That’s the main issue at the core of his argument IMO; he considers hunting inherently more ethical than buying meat because the animal has lived a better life, but that only works (partially) if you consider nature has, like, a big farm with infinite animals inside for you to eat

how long after the apocalypse would humanity rediscover the necessity of only allowing our monarchs to hunt according to ritually prescribed annual cycles

3 Likes

What happened in the Western European middle ages was roughly

• everyone hunts carnivores/omnivores like wolves and bears that threaten livestock and are scary
  • this leads to an explosion of prey animals like deer and wild pig which go hog-wild on the local fauna
  • people kinda replace the predators they’ve killed, but being people their equilibrium vis-a-vis the whole environment varies
  • gradually the upper classes reserve more and more hunting privilege for themselves
  • this unbalances things toward the deer and hogs again and they breed like crazy beyond the limits of the environment to support them
  • trees + shrubs r fuked & ded deers r everywhere

turns out classism can effect the environment weird who knew

7 Likes

I’m sorry I’m like this

1 Like

30 minutes

1 Like

I will be your queen

1 Like

no I like it as someone who is most comfortable interacting through pedagogy and jokes

And then they needed Swine Killers like in that text you posted a while ago? Were there Swine Killer positions available in cities outside of London?

This blog is sort of an addendum/counterpoint/I dunno it’s vaguely related I feel like

Kind of almost nightmare-inducing article about the fall of Starbreeze and how the ghost of Grin became part of it

In June 2015, Starbreeze bought French VR engineering firm InfinitEye for $2m and set up StarVR, its virtual reality company. Andersson planned to launch a high-end VR headset, and secured a $9m investment from Taiwanese hardware and electronics company Acer to finance it. Starbreeze invested $10m to set up and provide titles for a virtual reality theme park in Dubai. It signed a VR deal with Imax (Imax VR is now dead). It spent 7.1m euros on a company called Nozon to build VR movie experiences. It bought an Indian outsourcing company called Dhruva and used it as a second studio. It opened offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Paris and more - all expensive, high-profile locations that cost an arm and a leg, according to Starbreeze staff. Starbreeze made a John Wick VR game. It even opened a VR café in Stockholm, although, according to locals, hardly anyone goes there.

According to staff, Starbreeze producers caused huge problems that affected not only the quality of the company’s products, but the mental health of the people who built them. The Walking Dead, however, seemed to suffer in particular. From unreasonable demands (“Let’s make it like The Division! / No, we don’t have nine months to put that together…”) to dramatic changes (“I’ve been playing a game all weekend and I’ve got this great idea, let’s do an exploding zombie! / You’ve been playing Dying Light…”), staff struggled to cope with a project that had no cohesive vision or leadership. “Every day there would be a different change,” one person said.

Felt relevant since the topic of The Darkness game came up recently so
@Sykel @BustedAstromech @Grandpa @parker @Father.Torque

It’s weird, because I remember the Grin guys popping up on Giant Bomb pretty frequently in the Bionic Commando/Wanted days, talking up how they planned to replace each tooth in their logo with a gold one with each game they released. They sounded pretty confident!

Then I guess Terminator Salvation, plus all those cancelled projects, tanked them.

Never would have imagined they’d reform with enough clout to bring down one of Sweden’s big studios.

But uhhh at least I guess the folks who made Starbreeze what it was are at Machinegames? Silver linings and all that?