Combos as a Means of Traversal

Most platformers apply thanks to the bonking on enemies’ heads thing. But if we’re talking specific moments from specific games that feel really cool…

I love this bit from Sonic 1, even though it’s not the fastest path through the stage it feels so damn cool to do:

In Kirby’s Adventure every room is designed with a specific ability in mind, and it feels this way because how the enemy layout is perfectly positioned so you can easily traverse through the room while disposing of them at the same time using the right ability. I show this a lot in this timestamp of my video on Kirby’s Adventure.

13 Likes

went to your youtube channel to watch the kirby video, was going to hit the subscribe button, and I’m apparently already subscribed!! Turns out I saw your Sonic video…a while ago. I have no idea how I found it, twitter I guess?

Anyway, gonna set aside time later to watch the kirby video as well.

2 Likes

Same thing happened with me. I think someone here must have shared it?

1 Like

Yep! I think the first area in the series that requires you to recast in midair is a conveyor belt ceiling over a pit.

3 Likes

Corner carry is a literal example of the implementation of this, but I don’t think a single FG stage width is “moving across the world”

1 Like

Oh yeah! This is definitely related! I was trying out combos with Millia in Xrd and I got the same satisfying feeling from launching into an aerial combo as I do from chaining between enemies in Shinobi.

jet grind radio/future

1 Like

Chain Reactions in F-Zero X

2 Likes

I really need to play X

3 Likes

Not a video game, but Phutball is very much this. In 3 seconds: it’s Go with a weaponized checkers/draughts piece.

3 Likes

Woah! I love jumping in checkers and this sounds wild!

1 Like

Have you played Chinese checkers?

I think what intrigues me the most about Phutball is the impartial element of placing the Phutballas

2 Likes

I’ve never played with six people or enough to see what good setups were. Looking it up now, I’ve learned it was invented in Germany in the late 19th century where it was called sternhalma. I was curious about that name and it comes from the German stern or “star” and the Greek ἅλμα or “jump.” Cool!

2 Likes

I tried explaining crazy climber‘s controls recently and I guess it’s combos as a means of traversal

The loop is: pull and reach. Reaching is where most of your options lie, pulling is basically just progression on whichever side of your body is available for it. I’m a little biased, but I think there’s some latent combinatorial magic here

1 Like

I totally see this. The rocking movement you have to make and the asymmetric reaching of your hands really enforce a particular rhythm and sequence. It’s like dialing the combination to an unique safe.

1 Like

Hey. It’s me again. We all know Spider-Man Elsa, but did you know Spider-Man Kiki? Cotton was definitely the best addition to Fresh for her special flying ability. She can supplement a jump or swing once while in midair and retain her acceleration. It’s basically my favorite double jump

The runner sometimes kills themself so they can switch to Cotton, it’s baffling to me that flying isn’t more of a focal point. Instead we’ve got this hunger system which is an unnecessary way to add checkpoints and power ups, it definitely doesn’t make the series more accessible and makes the core of the game a little weaker imo

3 Likes

This looks so good. Chibis of the world unite!

1 Like
3 Likes

Never stop never stopping.

From Elden Ring

13 Likes