combat aviation 2021: Show Me The Bogeys

I played IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad with my newfangled joystick and SmoothTrack ($10 app that does head tracking using your smartphone). It works pretty smooth albeit I have yet to configure the encoders as axes, which you can do using the VKB software I think.

On to the saga of…

STALINGRAD: VVS 273 IAP

First career mode flying the Yak-1 as part of the VVS 273 IAP (Soviet Air Force 273rd fighter air regiment), based out of the airfield at Srednyaya Akhtuba. It is August 1942 and the Germans are starting a dastardly pincer movement on Stalingrad.

And here’s little old us… the fightin’ 273rd!

My first pilot (a youthful delinquent) was immediately shot down and killed by a Bf109, so instead we play as our hero, comrade Junior Lieutenant Gerasim Zhdanov. Formerly a football poacher, he hopes to poach some Nazi victories over the Volga.

On August 23rd 1942, comrade Zhdanov arrives at the Stalingrad front. On August 24th, he covers himself in glory, receiving an “Aviation Badge” for having (almost) aviated.

8/24/42 –

Lieutenant Zhdanov’s first mission does not go well. He pushes the throttle to maximum, but his Yak-1 (series 69) immediately succumbs to massive engine torque and drags itself stage right off the runway into the grass. Pondering his next move, he decides to shut the engine off and call it a day.

8/25/42 –

Zhdanov’s second outing in the Yak is rather more successful. Slowly throttling up, he remembers to apply strong left rudder to counteract engine torque, and before he knows it his Bos grunniens is soaring southwards, following his flight and the brave Major Borisov, trying his best to match airspeed.

Soon, the 273 encounters a ragtag bunch of Nazi fighters. In the distance, Zhdanov is unable to make out who is who – how do pilots see anything this far away? His flight mates seem to be chasing after some enemies. In the whirlwind of throwing his craft into turns and climbs, he cottons on to one enemy fighter. As the enemy climbs into his gunsights, he lets loose a round – only to notice the red star on the fuselage. He’s damaged a squadmate! Hopefully the small trail of black smoke (indicating an oil fire) is less serious than it looks.

In the confusion, he receives a radio message that the mission objective (bomber intercept) was completed. Zhdanov turns north to return to base, overshoots the airfield by several kilometers, but by turns and careful consultation of a cockpit map is able to guide himself within visual range of Srednaya Akhtuba. Not knowing how to work the cockpit radio, he goes in for approach without informing air control of his landing intentions. Luckily, most of his squadmates have already come in for landing, and his own landing (much to the surprise of all) proceeds as planned. He even taxis off the runway into the grass so no one breaks their plane landing on his head! What a guy.

While comrade Zhdanov flew his Yak like a shopping cart with a busted wheel, his comrades mixed it up with the Luftwaffe. Tuseev and Aleksandrov come in for special recognition, Aleksandrov having downed a Stuka, and both being wounded in action.

More to come…

9 Likes