cobra dinn is not a real country

Spooky Halloween post:

From this gameā€™s bestiary, I obviously knew about mermaids and krakens, but had never seen those terrifying giant spider-crab things seen in Ā« Soldiers of the sea Ā» So I was wondering whether I was missing some famous naval monster lore or they were invented by Lucas Pope ?

It turns out that I was all wrong, those things are not monsters, theyā€™re real
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_spider_crab
Oh no

Thatā€™s the Switch port? That was fixed in an early PC patch, you had as much time as you liked to wander in Memento mode

Yeah, itā€™s the Switch port. The first time you see a death, you can walk around but time is limited, once time runs out the notebook fills up up, everything goes black except for the cadaver of the next victim, etc
When you go back you get unlimited time

I got to the end of this game tonight. Itā€™s very clever. I didnā€™t look anything up, but I did guess a few times when I had characters narrowed down to just a few possibilities.

For example, I didnā€™t know how to distinguish between the Chinese topmen. But I looked that up just now and itā€™s apparently based on their pants and shoes when they are in their bunks.

I hope this game is influential, as Iā€™d love to see more things like it.

I finished this tonight. I thought it was gorgeous and rather well done. Iā€™d say it was compelling butā€¦I dunno, it went on much longer than I would have liked, right? By the time Iā€™d figured out half the fates I really wanted to wrap things up cuz Iā€™d mostly figured out what was up and did not care about the specifics. I did not care about any of these people or these mysteries. They did not have personalities or concerns. They were just puzzle pieces. I really cared about putting together those puzzle pieces though. I cared about winning the game.

I guess itā€™s a real feat to make a game thatā€™s mechanically enjoyable and compelling but thereā€™s also a story here and I think the fact that none of it resonated with me on any level has left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied. This is 8+ hours of watching dozens of people I do not care about die and I did not find any of it chilling or thought provoking because there was just so much and also cuz of the whole supernatural angle, which may have made for some gorgeous setpieces but I think half a ship getting spiked to death by mermaids really undercuts the bleakness of all these lives being reduced to just names and prices in some insurance adjusterā€™s ledger.

And Iā€™m not against the supernatural elements, but itā€™s so much of the game, and thereā€™s nothing all that thrilling about reassembling a series of plot beats involving some deep sea MacGuffin. Itā€™s not a bad story, itā€™s not embarrassing, but it had all the impact of reading a wikipedia plot summary, and it wasnā€™t helped by the fact that I had the same problem with the Chinese dudesā€™ feet, wourme! You arenā€™t alone! I peeped at those mothers the first time I caught them napping but none of them had that one dudeā€™s distinctive cuffs so I figured it was a dead end. After a certain point just let me click on a menu and teleport to a Memory so I donā€™t have to hoof it all around the damn ship double checking to make sure I didnā€™t mix up a stabbing with a spearing, jeez louise.

Anyway I donā€™t remember what games came out in 2018 but this probably woulda been top of my pops. I recommend it.

8 Likes