Cartoons (Part 1)

I can’t see this cartoon golden age wrapping up any time soon, even as Adventure Time is

I watched the Adventure Time pilot a dozen times with my sister after hearing about it in an IRC channel. It took like an hour to load because we were on dial-up.

5 Likes

The show never reached the level of the pilot. Here is a very complicated sentence: The voice of Finn in the pilot was that of the brother of the voice of Finn in the series. His voice was much more childish. It was a prepubescent boy voicing a prepubescent boy; this is unheard of in cartoons because of production timelines but was so awesome to hear. I remember thinking, “This cartoon boy sounds like a boy and not a woman doing a boy voice.”

That was the most charming thing about the pilot which was already filled with charming things. Such charm will not for long.

3 Likes

How does like, the SGC2C >> Superjail >> I dunno Venture Bros I guess?? Adult Swim genealogy factor into this

Just more flavours from the horn of plenty

Though grubbily, I don’t think many Good Ass Cartoons have had quite the merch support of AdvTime and that seems to matter

johnny bravo is better than adventure time send tweet

1 Like

Ffffff

1 Like

I found Johnny Bravo to dry until the second season or so that had characters like Pops and Carl when I was a young cartoon watcher.

Not enough love for Courage the Cowardly Dog UIH

2 Likes

Cartoon Network sucked before Home Movies come on folks

3 Likes

I’d say SGC2C becomes Brak Show and Aqua Teen and then the other Williams Street productions like 12oz Mouse, Perfect Hair Forever, and Squidbillies. Superjail is the NY studio that did Wonder Showzen’s animated segments (ugh to those bits) and then Titmouse (LA), so I don’t think that’s connected. The Venture Bros. guys are very separate from Cartoon Network (and complain about getting ill budget treatment because of it), but you should trace that lineage back to The Tick and thus the Fox Saturday morning cartoon era.

1 Like

mike lazzo helped create the powerpuff girls after creating space ghost coast to coast

ian jq of steven universe/o.k ko definitely came through both venture bros and adventure time which is interesting

Did y’all know Brendon Small basically played Brendon from Home Movies on an episode of Clarence (that was also done in the improv style of Home Movies)

Static Shock was the number one rated show when it came on cartoon network and there are literally no toys of it except one subway happy meal

I remember Genndy Tartokovsky talking about how it was wild they never even tried to make Sym-Bionic Titan toys

Ben 10 gets all the merchandise energy from CN

7 Likes

this was code for ‘the advertisers said too many girls watched my show’

2 Likes

and Coach McGuirk in the ‘Do Not Rent!’ That’s lovely

dammit i knew i should have kept up with Clarence

There are too many good cartoons!! :grinning:

1 Like

while we’re on very good recent CN cartoons: it’s almost fall, the best, spookiest time of the year, and that means it’s time for me to scream OVER THE GARDEN WALL at everyone i know until everyone appreciates how fucking good Over the Garden Wall is

10 Likes

How has Clarence shaken out? I saw a few episodes during a period of it starting before joining the work force and that was around the time it started getting around that the creator or show runner had a hard time keeping his hands to himself.

The show itself really nails that feel of being a kid trying to find things to do with a subtle undercurrent of missing the darker tones of the real world. Very pleasant but not much of a hook that grabbed my attention.

I saw so many commercials for this and Teen Titans Go between on-demand episodes of Gumball and Adventure Time that I reflexively started to hate it and I’m not sure I can overcome the bias, now

but Teen Titans Go is good and weird

even the movie was shockingly good (more cartoons need to make Batman’s parents getting killed a joke)

adventure time was really good

really cried at the end there

4 Likes