Cartoons (Part 1)

Walk on Girl was amazing. I felt it started a little slow if at the same time to quickly but it hit its stride during the second “story” and became a wonderful ride through to the end.

1 Like

I just saw Walk on Girl and I loved it too. It really captured the feeling of a weird and wild all-night-out.

1 Like

echoing all the people who just watched it and loved it

I mean of course I would say that, I’m the number one yuasa fan on this forum

Did anyone stick around for the after-credits interview with Yuasa? He says um a lot.

1 Like

I gave Disenchantment a go and ended up finishing the season up tonight. Boy, the comedy was a rare kind of rough at times but things slowly got rolling. The main reasons I kept watching were ragweed pollen and the game of spotting actors voices that I recognized. The aforementioned Matt Berry, Noel Fielding, and Rich Fulcher (who also co-produced the series) were great to hear.

What never worked for me was the lack of chemistry of the three leads. Their tone and writing is jarringly inconsistent at times and I keep on hearing Elfo slip into that Robot Chicken voice his actor does, ugh.

The supporting cast, flooded with amazing voice talent, get more lines and better jokes later. There is also a good amount of world building and plot arching which made up for the disappointments of many of the episodic plots. The animation is as good as Futurama IMO save some glaring continuity issues.

3/5 boxes off tissues (for the allergies). Will probably watch the next season and hope for improvements.

1 Like

Bit too Amelie for me tbh. Well made, but

1 Like

Hah! Very fair, Amelie does seem like a real touchstone for the film now that you mention it.

With Adventure Time ending on Monday it’s wild to think back on when the pilot came out and went viral. Like the absolute seismic effect it had is wild. It’s honestly something like Star Wars where if you grew up in a world where animation was influenced by Adventure Time you can’t actually get a true context for how wild and different it felt? I wonder if it would even be possible to convince so many people to watch a seven minute cartoon online in 2018

11 Likes

i remember the pilot was the most refreshing bit of TV animation i had seen in a long time. it really felt like a game-changer and i’m glad it turned out to be!

1 Like

god bless linguini bones

For me it was Misadventures of Flapjack, and Adventure Time felt like a refinement of that.

2 Likes

you’re not wrong!

the adventure time pilot came before flapjack, but pen ward and a ton of adventure time talent worked on flapjack before the adventure time show proper came out

pen ward, alex hirsch, jg quintel…flapjack developed hugely popular showrunners in the same way that craig mccracken and genndy tartavoksy worked on 2 stupid dogs before cartoon network existed

3 Likes

yeah, I remember thinking of pen ward as ‘one of the flapjack people’

Adventure Time was unashamed of being weird and doing whatever it wanted, which I think tons of people loved. Finn wasn’t great at singing or playing music but he made up songs and mouth-sounds all the time because it was fun. There were bizarre visual gags that probably only the artists understood. Pen Ward was really genuine that way, and surrounded himself with genuine people, and it showed in the finished thing.

We wouldn’t have Steven Universe without Adventure Time putting Rebecca Sugar on the map, which is crazy for me to imagine.

2 Likes

god now i’m thinking about how jonny bravo had seth macfarlane and butch hartman on staff doing the same weird adam west jokes they’d do later on family guy and fairly oddparents

3 Likes

Revisiting Flapjack recently really sharpened it in my head as a bridge between Spongebob and Adventure Time; I think there’s a clear progression of joke styles in there.

I was most excited about Adventure Time because it inaugurated a low-key fantasy and even D&D awareness into kids shows; it felt like I was starting to see cartoons made by people who thought the same things were cool as I did.

5 Likes

A brief reminder, that Flapjack was based on Thurop van Orman’s youth (taken from the wikipedia article on the show)

As a child, show creator Van Orman lived in Panama City, Florida, and “used to fantasize about living near the dock and having adventures all the time.” When he was 13, his family moved to Utah, but Van Orman still dreamed of adventure. He worked after school as a janitor, saving money for a plane ticket back to Florida. There, he packed some rice and potatoes, and paddled a surfboard to Shell Island. He planned to live off sea urchins and “even speared a manta ray,” but things soon went sour. Eventually he became badly sunburned and began to starve. He returned to the mainland, but later tried again: he “went to Mexico and lived in the jungles and found [himself] eating out of dumpsters.” Orman took his failures in stride, chalking all these bad circumstances up as “part of the adventure”.

7 Likes

He voices Flapjack too, doesn’t he? Gosh I never brought that character this far into our world, a little glowing ball of optimism and naivete

yes! he voices flapjack, and the character’s naivete and optimism is a reflection of the showrunner through and through.

I think the ‘wishing well’ episode is easily my favorite (“Well well well well well. Well well well.” // "I wish my mouth was always full of maple syrup! --gurgghhl-- “Kinda hard to breathe, though”) and it even concludes with a very Adventure Time-esque mythological mysterious horror/beauty flip.

3 Likes

Flapjack fucking ruled

3 Likes