Cartoons (Part 1)

holy shit

yoooooo

God bless

3 Likes

Sometimes I wish I liked gumball more than I do.

2 Likes

the part of me that would go “this is cool, Gumball is cool” is being shouted down by the adult in me that’s reading all the background text and going “hell, same”

2 Likes
1 Like

looks like there’s this next season 7 of voltron and then season 8 is the last one

The holy goddamn trinity right here

Been watching Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory for some reason. I saw something I loved in the comedic Fumoffu season 2, and I’ve been hoping to see more of it with every following season.

No dice.

This season in particular is 100% all military shootouts and mech battles, done on a lower budget that can’t really do it particularly well. It’s all generally watchable, just not even remotely noteworthy.

I will say, Episodes 5-7 had a pretty interesting and fun side story where Sousuke had no mech and no support from his organization, and had to take part in paid mecha gladiator battles using a super-shitty but super-solid Soviet frog mech. THAT entire bit was as enjoyable as this show’s gotten, but yeah, sure enough, they wrapped up that story quick and got back to business as usual.

Yeah what IV covered is basically where the story goes full serious plot and sticks through with it to the end. Part of the thing is they skipped a whole book which connects this and what you see in TSR and was a send off of the comedic bits while mixed with action bits, but also explains why Amalgam moves to straight up destroy Mithril and is the part that actually cements Sousuke and Kaname’s relationship to what it is at the beginning of IV.

Things from here on ends up being not entirely business as usual, but that would be beyond the scope of what IV covers. Probably the best thing is what was slightly touched on at the end, that Sousuke’s hot new ride isn’t quite as great as it first seems, lacking normally basic features and actually has a very limited lifespan. Like the final battle of the series is their final battle in part because win or lose the machine was just going to fall apart afterwards anyway.

Still it is weird to get a sequel over a decade after TSR and something like six or so years after the novels ended.

I guess there’s an Evangelion trailer playing in Japanese theaters right now and there are companies conspiring to keep it off the internet and I’m really bummed I can’t see it.

The first episode of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is free on youtube but you still have to “buy” it. It has a very fun feel to it. I love the colors and style. The direction and flow of the action is immaculate and carries it very well. It doesn’t feel well animated in a technical sense but this feels like the highest level of flash animation where it’s more about camera tricks and doing the most with a few drawings than creating motion with a lot of drawings. Not trying to say this show is cheap because they pack so much in with each shot and do some amazing shot compositions. I’m old so I have some weird feelings about mixing up some character dynamics. Raph is more the leader now but they don’t dwell on it so far. He’s at least not annoyingly brash and not as toxicly masculine as he can be in some iterations. He’s up front about being an animal lover and doesn’t try to aggressively cover it up and doesn’t lash out in anger as older Raph’s might have. Leo is a wisecracker now instead of the usual disciplinarian. He’s touted as the most “skilled” one in the group still so Leo fans can still feel vindicated when they pick him in videogames. YMMV on the quality of his quips but some of them managed to make their way and get a chuckle or two from me. Donnie and Mikie feel very much from the same mold as the classics. Donnie is already kitted out in technogear and Mikie is recognized as the quickest turtle and the artist of the group. I kinda fell off on the 2012 due to school and scheduling but this show really stands out and has it’s own identity. I’m gonna stick with it for a while.

3 Likes

ninja turtles aint for me but i do enjoy the constant muttery naturalistic dialogue

2k3 was the best rendition in animated form. “same as it never was” was particularly memorable episode.

the rest, meh.

TMNT 2k3 is pretty divisive. It was the Lairdiest.
80’s is my favorite.

weird part about every ninja turtles show so far is that they all go through complete reboots/retools changing the entire premise

As someone who grew up with and is attached to the 80’s cartoon and the live action movies: I appreciated the recent CG cartoon. It got the feel right, while still adding some modern flavor. but I did always hate their giant calves/feet.

I’m super into the way TMNT has gone through so many permutations

1 Like