Cartoons (Part 1)

yeah it’s rather beautiful imo!

between the fact that everyone says “soh-ry” on purpose just make it sound more like an ocean dub and like

i am being very successfully pandered to

6 Likes

OK K.O. so outwardly comes from a place of really effusive geeky love for animation in toto and i love it. one of the best shows

The end theme is literally about cartoons being something magical and wonderful, especially when you know how they work

(also reminder that Rebecca Sugar is a lowkey fantastic singer/songwriter)

1 Like

I DON’T EVEN CARE ANYMORE

FRANXX IS SO FAR UP IT’S OWN ASS

I’M TYING MYSELF TO THE MAST

YOU DID THIS SHOW

I’M GOING DOWN WITH YOU

I HOPE YOU DROWN WITH ME

3 Likes

There’s an anime adaptation of Kimetsu no Yaiba in the works which is cool, but the manga’s slightly idiosyncratic art style seems like it’s getting smoothed out into something a little more generic, which is a shame.

meanwhile, in an attempt to watch good (“good”) cartoons, I caught up Gun Gale Online, the good Sword Art Online show

this show is the dumb, precious child of a twitch stream of PUBG or Fortnite and some random Z-grade direct to video action movie (you know the kind, the ones filmed in former Soviet states or an Eastern European country). the protag has been turned into a bloodthirsty, savage murderer from video games, a gymnastics club of middle school bond over virtual murder, dudes explode when they get shot into fake virtual viscera and a character just walks around with two grenade launchers named Rightony and Leftania

it’s the good kind of dumb and the only thing anime about it is that it’s stuck in the SAO universe, otherwise this is like a number of shelf fillers at a Blockbuster. you know, one of the good ones.

Catching up on the new season of Voltron. Going by the first two episodes, this might be their best one yet.

I’ll always be impressed with how this show keeps growing.

I felt the last season was were you could feel the show stretching thin. The animation was feeling weaker, writing kinda felt they were throwing alot of things around with out much setup and the gags were feeling more trite. Feels like they brought it back on the three eps i watched last night. The MnM episode was a pretty good breather before the bomb drop that followed.

Also, starting with Hunk getting to flex some cultural muscle is a great way to start the season for me.

there are about a half-dozen other observations about animated jnk that i want to make but never got around to doing, but I feel like I have to highlight and underline these two promotional clips for Cartoon Network’s Summer Camp Island

I realize it’s aimed at a younger audience compared to the (children’s) cartoons I usually enjoy, and it is undeniably a soft, cute thing. I do not feel negatively about its existence.

but

“Dozens of young animal people are left on an isolated island by their parents, ostensibly to enjoy an innocuous camp experience, only to discover that the location is full of monstrous magical creatures, previously inanimate objects are now sentient and talkative, and everything on the island is controlled by a cabal of witches who manipulate reality for their own selfish, petty amusement” is… well, it’s basically a nightmare born of every theory that a cartoon secretly takes place in some purgatory or limbo

2 Likes

Pretty cool Vimeo account for animation enthusiasts

Batman and Harley Quinn was wonderful. Didn’t dare hope it would turn out this good.

It’s a Bruce Timm DVD movie done in the style of the original batman DCAU series. Timeline-wise I think it actually takes place after Joker dropped Harley off the ledge in Return of the Joker, since she mentions him only once to literally call him an asshole.

It is definitely the horniest of all the Batman movies, though, so, be aware of that going in.

1 Like

So horny

1 Like

i kinda liked the last act and ending of batman and harley quinn but it just was too tonally off for me. also yeah for something based on a show that had harley covered in pie asking to be revved up it is still 1000 times more horny somehow. the sense of humor is also totally bizzare. just an odd thing altogether

Thought they did a perfect job with Harley - she’s spot on the whole way through. Agree that the tone was constantly fighting between full-on farce and Regular Batman Mystery With Goofy Character In It.

I think the thing is that they didn’t really need Batman to be in this one. I think Nightwig would’ve worked just as well playing the straight man to Harley’s antics, and he would’ve filled the role of reserved on-task dweeb.

Hell, it could’ve even worked as a way to develop Nightwing more, drive home the differences between his style and Batman’s, and set the stage for him eventually splitting off to go solo.

god “dendy’s power” on ok ko about the pow card mod scene literally starting out with a .mod tracker ass cracktro lol

2 Likes
2 Likes

CG is hit and miss, but the game footage is on point.
1 Like
1 Like

I thought this season was gonna be dull but there are some pleasant surprises.

Chio’s School Road is a lighter fare of wotamote where the joke isn’t about how much you identify with a character at the lowest social rung at how inept you are at interacting with other people but more about a nerdy gerl that does silly things while also being kind of bad at make friends.

Asobi Asobase is the winner right now in silly faces and abuse. This is another go at ahogirl but now there are three girls, no sugita and more interesting animation. Don’t let the opening fool you. It is but a ruse.

The horny isekai trash option is def How to not summon a demon lord. I still hunger for more konosuba but this is some A grade trash. Don’t watch it but I’ll get back to you to see how rotten it can get.

Cells at work looks kinda cheap but carries itself pretty good with some punchy humor and pacing to keep things moving. For the medical/biology nerds or Osmosis Jones fans.

I’m getting some laughs this early in. At least we’re free of Franxx.

8 Likes