Cartoons (Part 1)

Got the UK release of Z Gundam in bluray. Gorgeous box and all that but this one also doesn’t have the original openings and endings which is… expected but still a bummer.

I’ve lived long enough to see a cartoon from Japan violently parody an Earth, Wind and Fire song/music video

I don’t know what to think

See now THAT I enjoyed

I’ve gotten back into Fullmetal Alchemist again, particularly FMAB, and while some of its charm has been washed away with time (last time I saw it I was like 15 or something?) it still holds up.

I honestly kind of love how many “downtime” episodes there are interspersed with scarce fighting scenes. Makes me wanna watch Silver Spoon again

First time I watched Silver Spoon I was very early into my transition and I literally cried at 6 episodes in a row. One of the reasons I cried was because of the cow birthing scene. I love cows so much. I am so happy that calf made it out alive. I’ve never seen a show with such cute cows

Other things I watched were Devilman Crybaby which was really bad, but I’m glad I got to be a part of it while it was buzzing around

I’m keeping up with Poptepipic and I want to like it but it’s just like… really not enjoyable. It’s one of those situations where simply being in a different medium does nothing for the original work, because I can’t find a scene in the show that justifies it getting a whole anime remake, other than the series-wide meta-humor of “haha look it’s a completely different show within a show”

2 Likes

I wanted to like Devilman Crybaby but apart from that one pier scene it seems pretty joyless and sociopathic and it just offended the heck out of my delicate sensibilities

They do turn butts into demon mouths that eat people, which is certainly a good thing, but it also makes me fear butts, which is definitely a bad thing.

5 Likes

A joyless, sociopathic tragedy about the collapse of humanity resonates pretty strongly right now, though.

I don’t think devilman crybaby is joyless and sociopathic but all its worse qualities are direct from go nagai manga

anyway that crybaby was able to revise miki and miko into real characters that you can actually care about counts for so much for me, they were nothing but ciphers in every other devilman thing.

(ps go nagai sucks eat shit anitwitter)

3 Likes

A real character who is like 17 that you see naked a bunch

I also watched Devilman Crybaby and I was so overwhelmed by it that I had a hard time forming any real opinions! The style is real nice. It felt like the best and worst parts of, say, an exploitation film from the 70’s. Some parts were real bad and gross but I kept watching which is rare for me!!!

Okay thank you I will now return to not watching anime.

all its worse qualities are direct from go nagai manga

What can I say, she was a much better written character than she should have been given the risible source material and the nudity in crybaby never grossed me out which is much better than anime’s typical standards

I want to like Tiger & Bunny more. Super heroes from the perspective of one that is past his prime isn’t something that’s heavily explored. The dub’s good and tries to work around awkward literal translations that the subs have. I got through the first season before I started questioning it.

It’s all style and no substance. Lunatic’s as superhero vigilante was a thing for about two or three episodes before he’s dumped into the background with no impact to the story. I was expecting Ourobouros to be explained more than “hey we can put a face to the guy who killed your parents” before the season sendoff but no, they show up out of the blue with just as much fanfare as Lunatic, muck about for the same length of time, and then…nothing. A reveal that the main baddie somehow has two NEXT abilities because why not break the current mutant ability system you had going there. City is saved (although I question living somewhere that you have to rely on the support of three pillars to prevent it from collapsing on itself), the heroes show little growth apart from their little single-episode character arcs, and a sense that nothing particularly noteworthy changed.

A new Tiger & Bunny project is in the works so there might be a chance to tie up those loose threads. The second movie (the first movie is mostly a retread of the beginning of the series with about an episodes worth of new content) does a bit more to explore Kotetsu coming to terms with not being a star hero in the current set up. It’s also more time with the characters. It probed a bit in to Fire Emblem’s background for better or worse. I’ll let others judge who good or bad it is.

But yeah, the show doesn’t really deliver on the things its trying to carry but is a fun romp I feel. I’m hoping for the best on the upcoming production.

I agree, it was fun while I wasn’t critically thinking it. I mean, how many times do you get to see somebody blast a hole through several stories then dropkick a timebomb into the sky? Or another hero’s fireballs literally trailing the word “FIRE” because if I could do something that literal, I would be over the moon.

The new turtles:

I’ve seen some demo clips of this from an internal source and parts of their adventures feel very Hellboy 2 but we’ll see if that amounts to much of anything. Kinda bold to change up some of their classic weaponry.

3 Likes

Raph looks more like he should be Slash. Also Michaelangelo’s weapon kinda looks like a callback to when censors killed his nunchucks and he was forced to fight with his grappling hook all the time in the 80s show.

I guess tonfa Raph is okay if it means he can make Foots catch hands

Wow i really dig that style and the new weapons even?? and black April (again)!!
and apparently the villain will be voiced by John Cena so that’s good

1 Like

(earlier i posted this on the #shrugpunk thread by mistake lol)

so, outside of sb anime club being my whole main introduction to anime, I’ve started regularly shorter private sessions with a closest friend for the sake of having more to talk to them with. it’s been a good chance to actually watch some newer / longform stuff in a more reasonable timeframe, be helpfully prompted to start off actually watching things, and to share some shorter anime club highlights, which is nice.

as such, a month after it finished airing, I’ve started watching Land of the Lustrous. of course, it has absolutely gorgeous cgi action sequences, solid physical comedy, and a unique aesthetic plus setting. it’s also got nonbinary pronouns for the unique-ish titular species, protagonist metamorphosis, and open raw theme questions of identity- which makes it kind of great for a certain degree of right-this-moment gender / millenial relatability. kind of frustrating how many people apparently get caught on pronouns for the series in either medium, really, or how the anime carries some standard modern baggage with its frequent gaze.

protagonist phos starts out petulant, fragile, aimless, and despondent over the dissatisfying loneliness of others. they go through a lot of failures and fragmentation, and end up losing + replacing mental + physical parts of the self: resulting in somebody much closer to functionality, still incomplete after being rebuilt multiple times, steadily more and more unrecognizable to the norm as well as to the former self. the suggested setting myth further establishes the more gendered invader villains as explicitly dehumanizing, or whatever, too- ignoring any communication or community built by those they shatter and steal away.

that’s hella gender resonant, fuck. I’m going to have a hard time not spoiling myself on the next season by reading ahead, though I guess the original manga has its own resplendence with panel layouts.

6 Likes

Thank you for reading the thread and also for puzzling me, making me turn the shrugbrand over in my head and peer at it from new and strange angles, etc.

1 Like