Cartoons (Part 1)

also looks like Studio Trigger is expanding that neat Gridman animated short from a couple years back into a show or a movie or something

1 Like

It feels like its been a while since there has been a robot show that wasn’t gundam or some sunrise trainwreck but it’s a shame it has to be some isekai set up of a programmer reborn into a world with magic that excels at it because magic is about programing now. The show itself seems to know how trite this has become and fastforwarded alot to get straight to the better bits. Solid enough animation and good looking robots with magic ( Magic Robots or Robots in a Fantasy setting feel under explored) so this is novel enough to me for me to eat past the stale parts.

Watched the first season of Castlevania
It’s a little too dripping with machismo but respects the canon enough for me to be excited about it
The fight scenes are really well animated

2 Likes

I’m three minutes in and this is definitely a Warren Ellis script.

EDIT: Wow, they kept the goatfucking line in from his script to when this was going to be a Castlevania III feature ten years ago.

1 Like

I liked it. I thought it was going to be longer than 90 minutes or whatever it turned out to be all totaled up but it was a pretty good setup arc all things considered. Looking forward to season 2.

Huh. Didn’t think it would work but I liked it overall.

And oh yeah it’s Warren Ellis af.

I mean I think this is pretty good if it’s as close as we’re ever going to get to more Vampire Hunter D

I see a minor endorsement of Knight’s & Magic above, but otherwise is there any anime series being simulcast that’s worth watching this season?

i liked the first episode of tsurezure children, though it’s literally just about teenagers confessing to their crushes and nothing else, and i don’t know if it’s gonna have much longevity.

i’m really hoping the new mahoujin guruguru series get picked up by crunchyroll.

there’s a fifth season of yami shibai, which is always good.

made in abyss sounds cool, but it seems to be exclusive to amazon’s anime strike thing, so never mind lol

1 Like

I thought the design work in this looked cute, but I’ve heard a lot of “oh boy wait until they get to a certain part of the manga” which makes me very worried.

Apparently A Centaur’s Life is actually about the weird politics of its fantasy world and not just leering at cute monster girls? That’s what I’ve heard from people who’ve read the comic, anyway.

It’s all about confessing because it’s just starting. Confessions move onto actual relationships, though one of the couples in the first ep are still dancing around each other 7 volumes into the manga now. But the nice thing about it is that with so many couples and so many different relationship states you aren’t stuck with ones you don’t care for all the time.

Though going by the OP the anime looks to be restricting itself to just a smaller handful, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but looks like it won’t be including some of my favorites.

But we’re getting the LOVE MASTER Katori so it’s still cool.

2 Likes

In the middle of Castlevania Ep2 and damn, Ellis in Castlevania sure sounds like the Ellis I was reading when I was in my twenties ten years ago. He still wants me to know how clever he is, ain’t he?

I think the script for this cartoon is based on a script he wrote like ten years ago when it was going to be an animated movie, so, I guess that makes sense?

1 Like

Oh god, even THE MONSTERS have to have a speech.

I’m sort of enjoying this Elegant Yokai Apartment Life show but I think I’m also just a sucker for Yokai stuff and also “Dorm Life” anime.

1 Like

If it’s well done, I’ll give it a go!

I have somehow never heard of this and will try it.

I’m so bummed that all of the Noitamina stuff (which I know isn’t the one you mentioned) is going directly behind this double-paywall (in addition to their other licenses). I was really excited when that deal was announced because for some reason I subscribe to Prime, but I can’t bring myself to throw them extra money every month for a “channel.” I was super bummed when “The Great Passage” went to Strike. Maybe I’m being a baby, but subscribing to Amazon even more for two or three shows a year seems really wasteful. I’ll probably wait for Kabeneri 2, pay for a month or two, and binge everything they have that I’m interested in. I was really interested in that ballroom dancing show this season too.

This sounds intriguing! I’ll have to check it out. If it’s more than 15% leering at cute monster girls I may have to bail though.

Thanks for y’all’s input!

Meanwhile, I’m tearing through the Netflix-released Little Witch Academia and it just is good feelings all around. Yō’s character designs are just too damn good, the animation is gorgeous, and it’s got a minor Adventure Time vibe running through it (the Trigger crew (Imaishi in particular of course) seem to be the only ones who really are taking lessons from the best of American animation–maybe Yuasa and Science Saru to some extent too).

The Imaishi-storyboarded eighth episode is my favorite so far.

I had been watching a bit of Usagi Drop finally (it feels like a new show to me still, but I guess it’s been out for like six years now). I think I’m dropping it though. It was pleasant and occasionally had a really neat moment, but the Daikichi protagonist dude was just too poorly realized/interesting to be compelling, so I was getting frustrated with him, and then I had the manga’s ending spoiled for me and I think it’s hard for me to go back.

Anyway, there are my thoughts about cartoons.

usagi drop sucks

Tsuredure is cuter than I thought it would be, and this Gamers show might actually be kind of funny? Episode one already went differently than I thought it would.

I’m not sure how many more genre-savvy protagonists transported/reincarnated in another world shows I can watch.

mahoujin guruguru ended up on crunchyroll, and as expected, it is very cute and very silly. a surprise though, is that sometimes characters turn into fullscreen pixel art

oh my god