Cartoons (Part 1)

The Trump jokes are gonna be so painfully on the nose.

is this the thread where i would talk about reading JJBA?

Whyever not

dunno thought there might be a manga thread or something

anyway jjba is great except when it’s super misogynistic or homophobic?

getting to the end of part 3 after having lost momentum about 6 months ago after part 2. soooo

yep

one day I’ll watch the anime. i watched the first 4 episodes and it was way toooo slowwww for me so i decided to just read it instead.

There is but whatever

Part 3 has a lot of problems but in later parts as Araki figured out how to handle Stands better it improves significantly.

Araki never completely stops being misogynistic but it gets less prominent. For what it’s worth Jolyne was the best main Jo. And by part 5 it’s all one big gay THE WORLD

1 Like

I know its controversial with the modern jojo fandom but I think parts 1 and 2 were even worse than part 3

I dont watch the shitty cartoon btw so that might be related

part 3 at least figured out how to be a good fun comic in some of the later chapters

I really liked part 2 for being an over the top and dreadfully over-explained contest of wills. Plus Joseph Joestar’s habit of telling people what they would say before they said it was great. I also really enjoyed the use of the ripple in part 2, especially the woolen hat thing.

Part 3 was very monster-of-the-week but some of those monsters were incredible so for sheer readability, I’ll agree.

Part 1 is a different comic.

Some of the stands in part 5 get a little to weird or so specifically focused for the challenge they present. Beach Boys and B.I.G. stick out. I read that B.I.G. was made just to be an opponent for Trish when she got her stand it kinda makes sense why it turned out how it did. Stands are more interesting when they get to show off some character aspect of the user. Just having a user show up, die and unleash an unstoppable stand completely takes that away.

I need to get back on the stone ocean wagon.

Can I just say I miss the grotesquery of part 1? It was so gross and I loved it.

This is exactly why I love part 7 so dang much. Every character has motivations and a personality, and the main Joestar is the least likeable of all of the cast of the part. It doesn’t just feel like Dio throwing out his army of Stand users or zombies or whatever.

It is by no means a perfect part, but I still stand by Jolyne and her stand being my favorite of the Joestars.

I could talk about JoJo’s all day, it’s exactly my kind of trash. Over-the top and colorful, strangely complicated powers, and an author who forgets something after 2 chapters so the rules are never consistent

imo part 5 picks the grotesque back up. I remember reading it and feeling like people got mutilated way more often than parts 3 and 4.

soon as that coloring team finishes retranslating part 5 (one more volume…!) I can bullet train my way through the rest of the series

Where can I get at this

Should be able to Google for it, but I follow JoJo’s Colored Adventure Team (or smth) on Facebook

Does anybody else find coloured Jojo (at least the scans available online) to look way too garish? At least parts 1-3 did to the point where I even preferred the black and white version despite being a overall lower quality scan in most cases. Not much really changed with Part 4 but it still felt like it worked a lot better with the aesthetic. Haven’t read any later parts but from what I’ve seen they don’t look much better.

Speaking of, is there any comic reader program that you can set to automatically lower the colour saturation on the fly as you’re reading?

Had a hugely different reaction. Liked the animation - it’s vastly better than Knights of Sidonia or anything remotely that poorly-animated. Tone felt right, I liked the characters, action was good, story was solid for being a slice of a much larger tale.

I can see people wanting more, but for what it was - a stand-alone movie, hoping to launch into a series - it was great.

Allison Janey, Margo Martindale, Paul F. Tompkins? I don’t know why Ducktales of all things has the best cast on television but…okay

3 Likes

Eric Brauza is playing all the Beagle Boys? Trying to remember what we’ve seen of them in preview materials. Are they going back to the Barks undifferentiated characters? Or will they have individual voices all from the same guy?

Eric Bauza is a pretty great voice actor with a pretty wide vocal range so I’d hope it’d be like in the original show where Frank Welker voiced a bunch of them

1 Like

Shit who’s gonna be Ma Beagle though

1 Like