Cartoons (Part 1)

what no that was like all of part 2. nazi guile was constantly played up an an honorable patriot.

jojo exists as this weirdly alien piece of media to me so I’ve never been able to bring the same expectations to it that I do with other media. it’s not even just nostalgia, the characters in jojo alone constantly portray this level of genuine uncanniness that just always makes me take it at face value. (this isn’t me saying everyone else should take JJBA like this, just me explaining how I consume it)

like it’s a running gag that the author is maybe some weird nonhuman. he doesn’t age, he relates to recording machines, and he has no idea what a dog is.

jjba is basically what if pro wrestling was an anime and is best approached with that level of unreal trashiness.

3 Likes

I feel like the crisis/combat situations it sets up are convoluted and time-defying without precedent or peer but I’m probably missing an obvious one

And re: obviousness, hang on 'til Stone Ocean at least Haley

Oh, yeah, I forget about that guy until he appears, and then it’s like, OK, time to skip these episodes! (You can skip these episodes and miss nothing, they’re bad.) Stardust Crusaders is the nostalgic favorite because 90s (American) kids got it entirely in abridged adaptations, and even when the characters appear in the fighting game (like Mariah and creeplord), Super Story Mode blasts over their jokes in like one minute of in-game cutscene. But boy, it’s got some roooooough bits.

On the upside, right after this is a really strong set of episodes.

apparently so

look at this suave motherfucker

edit: holy fuck

I think looking at your post now. It’s amazing because it didn’t just pick up. It ran with it and escalated the violence, the tension and the adult nature, while still keeping the little CN gags (Even a flat out Dexter’s Lab reference in the episode last night) and gorgeous art styles. It’s just a wonderful journey.

Also that ending of last night’s episode was wild.

Gendy. You absolutely crazy son of a gun.

Gundam Build Fighters and Try have been a fun ride. Alot of good feels and plenty of moments that made me grin like an idiot. It’s one hell of a commercial. Maybe to effective as my amazon cart is now lined up with HG models. I tend to prefer MGs but they aren’t making them for the suits I want. I hope another one can come into existence.

I really liked the first GBF but got bored with Try. I blame it to the lack of Fenice.

Yeah, first GBF was better all around but Try had a lot of fun bits. Build Burning is more my flavor than the Star Build Strike.

Oh that for sure, the Build Burning is a better design, I do have the HG kit and it’s great. And I was all for the show when I saw the deal with the main character was more G Gundam and less SEED. But… opponents were not as fun? It’s start well with Gyanko, but after that it kinds of lose steam.

Yeah, Try off the field so to speak didn’t nearly have the same charm as the first’s cast and alot of fights felt like they came to easily or were just shouting matches. Not that I don’t love shouty mech fights but GBF1 had a wacky races and a baseball episode so the fun was varied and let more characters have a chance to show off. Try had some fun gimmicks like an SD that can transform into a properly proportioned mobile suit and the lovably garish Tryon 3 (can’t wait to try those kits) but alot of the victories felt fairly samey. Sei and Reiji had more ups and downs while Try Fighters had a much smoother ride. Minato was a fun dork to have around because most out of battle fun was a bit more cookie cutter ‘who is thirsty for whom’ instead of characters bouncing off each other.

Yeah, BF started with a stable of opponents that they build over some time, Try just starts with a bunch and they get beaten and then tosses a whole new bunch in with little development or anything to really get you interested in them. Minato being the exception, which is part of why he’s one of the best things in the latter half of the show, the other part being Try On 3.

anime

1 Like

anime

CR you were right

2 Likes

final SC review: joe tarot and dio resolved their sexual tension after discovering that Our Stands Are Not So Different, Yours and Mine

this arc probably didn’t need two seasons. it did need actual characters, though

there was some good trash in here buried under a lot of skeeviness and flat episodes that no one remembers for some reason

in conclusion, i have to go to work in eight hours and i hate myself

it’s really crazy the way the flames in those two screenshots seem to blend together

2 Likes

are there any shows drawn without outlines?

Theres the genius party short, wanwa the doggy.

1 Like

Samurai Jack.

1 Like