Cartoons (Part 1)

I don’t think the fights in that series change significantly after part 3 unless it’s an episode where they’re fighting an especially bad stand.

In reality part 5 is when shit really picks up hard even tho I adore all of JoJo but yeah just read the manga like a proper weeb :^)

part 4 is the last part where everybody isn’t a parody of an araki character

jojo was in the self-parody zone from the very start, sorry. a significant percentage of part 1 was about straight-up depicting landed gentry as an abused and misunderstood minority

i mean everyone already knows that part 6 will probably be my favorite by default when i get to it tho from what @Khan tells me about part 8’s protagonist, who chooses to go by gabby and manages to look androgynous in a universe where most men have spare tires for shoulders, and whose stand is named fuckin’ Soft and Wet, i mean… trans girl? trans girl.

now that we have a tabletop campaign going with explicit jojo stand mechanics i never want to go back

excited to go from arc 3 where the whole story is driven forward by shadow the hedgehog’s ditzy mom being so weak and womanly that her superpower is terminal illness with every other girl depicted as either a nuisance or a sex object, to arc 6, where smooth and tough-as-nails butch lesbians duke it out in a women’s prison, that’s gotta be Feminism in Action right there.

fingers crossed they’re actually strong female characters and not, you know, [Strong Female Characters] (http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php/index.php?id=311) because that would break my heart

He goes by josuke but fans call him gappy because he has a gap in his teeth and nobody has muscles after part 3.

By self parody I don’t mean it becomes silly, I mean everyone just becomes this ridiculous over the top androgynous person who Hates Fingernails or Achieves Orgasm From The Sound Of A Spinning Yoyo or some weird one line thing that entirely defines them. This is the template for “araki” character after a while and it just gets kinda old.

Jojo is still good tho i dunno.

@Khan u lied to me and im gonna beat u up let’s fuckin goooo

Jojo is never ever good about women but part 6 is cool and Jolyne and Hermes are hella good tho. Part 8 is kind of peak araki in that nobody even seems like a human being anymore and you can only tell people apart by their haircuts at this point.

Actually I’m pretty sure araki has explicitly said at some point that he finds drawing women disgusting or something?

The entire plot of part 5 is just Protect The Lady!! so idk if you should expect a lot from that.

Part 7 has two women total in it and one of them is named Hot Pants. Like that’s not her stand name. The name her parents gave her is Hot Pants

Hermes is maybe my favorite supporting character in Jojo’s. Either her or Gyro b/c he just speaks to me on an emotional level

Araki makes a good comic but does not necessarily have good opinions, yeah

Also Hot Pants is fantastic and I really like her stand a lot. I really enjoy just how obscure stands start to become from part 5 and on in general. It’s one of the many things that makes part 7 for me, I can only think of like 1 stand from part 7 that was actually a punching ghost

Long live mountain tim

Laughing Salesman is kinda fun as cautionary tale about the dangers of not having money but the first half of the current episodes feel so very week. All that has happened in those sections is Moguro leading his targets to temptation and then slapping them with a gotcha. The second half stories have been much better. He offers a gift or service that is actually beneficial to the customer but it’s their failure as a person that causes it turn around and bite back. These kind of stories work better when you see the character has a chance to make a better decision and make the failure that much more impacting.

I am redolent and started reading Berserk which I’d somehow cruised past til this low week

The Cenobite uh bite made me eyeroll harder than some of the corpses up in this bafflingly influential comicbook

What is its deal

Berserk is one of the stranger/stronger deconstructions of toxic masculinity I’ve read tbh

… go on

Love between working partners/brothers that can only express itself as competition leading to the destruction of everyone around them, particularly the women

100% teacher pascal is a very funny show and i recommend it

also, the world yamizukan is pretty much just yamishibai, but with general paranormal stories instead of specfically ghost stories, so of course i recommend that too

I’m not sure the gaze here is exactly accommodating to the women, I mean it seems verrrrry fridgey

Even the gore feels also-ran

oh, entirely. It’s also firmly in the “most horrible, intense thing imaginable” genre and it achieves ludicrous heights within it. While being horrible. But it’s certainly an expression of virtuosity and hatred almost unmatched; I like the early literalization of the lords as demons feeding on peasantry.

After 15 years the author has mellowed out and it becomes more typical but he has one more trick up his sleeve (Ganishka) before he goes back to drawing strange happy things his anachronistic hate-plane (seriously, it’s like seeing The Simpsons in 2017)

It’s not perfect, there’s definitely some aspects I disagree with that lean into fridgey stuff. Miura goes right into making the consequences of the setting as brutal as possible, and it’s absolutely not going to be a comfy read for everyone. The first ten to twenty books are dedicated to showing how Guts is a product of his environment and how abuse is cyclical and all-consuming. At times, when given a safe environment, Guts can appear to be the gentlest character in the whole cast.

The beats are all there it’s just the execution is so much more wildly trashy than I was expecting

For some reason I had expectations