Cartoons (Part 1)

https://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Smile-Three-Stories/dp/1596431563 ??

Two new Yuasa films this spring???

1 Like

I finally watched Belladonna of Sadness since it was on TCM at the entirely appropriate time of 2:15 in the morning. I have two thoughts:

1. It is a fantastic piece of film-making and art

2. thatsapenis.gif ( though to be perfectly honest, I’m bouncing back and forth between “Yes Satan was real and was totally plowing her and making her awesome” and “stress-induced hallucinations/ingestion of psychedelics combined with masturbation”, an angle which fits neatly with the themes of women’s liberation)

i picked jojo arc 3 back up because i figured it would be better on pain meds

Uh

2 Likes

this show is constantly trying to outdo itself at making the monster of the week a huge shithead so that you enjoy them inevitably getting ora’d in the face

it’s kind of exhausting

the MC of this arc is still just shadow the hedgehog

show is pretty tho

there was big manga sound effect text for grandpa joestar winking, so

i’m not going to stop

Oh my God

#Oh my God

2 Likes

D:

2 Likes

Gleh. Not always going to just post in my own thread. Cartoons?

Assessment of Star Vs. The Forces of Evil after watching about half of the episodes and after the second season was finished up over February: not greatly riveting or evocative with its hyperactive protagonist or teen character drama, nor on its use of the medium. Still, it seems to enjoy itself simply existing as a whimsical magical action-adventure show and builds up a fair amount of sympathy to its monsters. Not terrible, not a guilty pleasure, not superlative, not mediocre.

…though, it’s also easy to confirm it’s not just a fan theory or a headcanon that the non-white “male” protagonist is trans, either, which should be pretty great if it’s followed through in the upcoming seasons. Dramatic episode morals about how there’s no wrong way to be a girl and how personal understanding of one’s truths change, explicit body image issues, unsubtle metaphors about being trapped in a closet and recurring nightmares about being “stuck in life”. Plus, not just a severely conspicuous lack of jokes or malicious misgendering them when they present as female, but an acceptance of such internally becoming a cultural symbol of revolution. This show is bound to jump up in internet relevance once this summer’s season airs.

(officially written by said character in an official companion book)

I dig the show though mostly for it’s expressive animation. Lotta fluid movement and goofy faces. Key elements of a good cartoon. Everything else is kinda gravy. I still need to finish the last half of season 2. Really love the time they give to Buff Frog and Ludo.

Samurai Jack is literally the exact same show at a higher fidelity and better level of craftsmanship and less content restrictions. Just the most gorgeous, violent, animated Little Golden Book ever made. It’s so similar that there’s a kind of wacky assassin Jack fights that almost takes you aback like: “oh yeah this dude is literally a dexter’s laboratory era cartoon network gag”. Like Jack himself is just wildly mentally broken and depressed and they do fully earn their TV-14 but it feels more like we are picking up a version of the show somehow kept going in the background and getting more adult? Really outside of a less “early 00s” credit font treatment, it’s amazing how they just picked right back up.

The weird Beavis & Butthead 2011 season is the only other TV show I can think of that had a decades late sequel season that matched the tone so precisely lol

3 Likes

this is pretty much what happens and is implied by the S5 premiere being labeled Episode XCII (meaning we effectively skipped some 40+ episodes)

rest in peace Scatbot

Kinda wish Scatbot could’ve lasted another episode.

It definitely feels like the same Jack from way back. Even the parts that don’t quite gel with me. Samurai Jack was a show I loved on principle but the pacing and developments in the show always felt very contrived to me. Everything felt to direct or deterministic as opposed to feeling like a natural flow. Right now as a viewer I don’t feel completely sold on Jack’s mental breakdown since we’ve hardly ever seen him not working on a way to defeat Aku or return to the past. Even now we still see him fighting the good fight. Of course mental health doesn’t always make sense but this mostly just feels like either shame culture manifesting in him or a new angle to push that TV-14 rating. It’s not a bad angle, just not sure I feel the execution of it.

Did like the fact that Jack straight up takes the tuning fork dagger to presumably use in upcoming episodes. Previous season made jack feel to static and unchanging. Biggest example I can think of him learning ‘Jump Good’ but then you hardly see him make use of it later. Though who’s to say this won’t be the same exact thing.

Does this mean that Yuaasa is behind the new Devilman show, or that I am death and this is heaven?

6 Likes

OH MY FUCKING GOD

I don’t know why Netflix is producing so many things that are precisely for me, but it’s ok, they can keep doing it.

Never would’ve called this in a thousand years.

2 Likes

I KNOW RIGHT.

I was entirely expecting the new devilman to be garbage so uhhh never mind!?

did you watch the live Q&A adult swim had with Gendy? someone legit asked him about this and it was just a coincidence

especially since only one of them devolves into a monkey face in profile

1 Like

I’m glad Aku is still not above silly cartoon gags and moments of flippancy.

1 Like

x-post!

1 Like