Cartoons (Part 1)

Yeah it was unavoidable I guess. But so noticeable, that was such a perfectly realized character and the slightest change just made it so awkward

1 Like

Good lord, this Shinji Hashumoto commercial almost has me interested in anime again

Konosuba is fun as long as Darkness is not around. I’d rather have more giant frogs gags instead.

I finally forced myself to watch the “Resurrection of F” Dragon Ball movie. It was so bad I wanna die. Zero effort. The previous movie was legitimately great, I’m so appalled. I can only blame myself.

Aw, really? I was looking forward to getting to that

A movie about saving Earth from a cat who just wanted some pudding is the only exposure I’ve had to dragon ball and the experience was Powerful

1 Like

honestly the beerus movie is legitimately one of the best pieces of dragon ball canon period (okay, well, DBZ* canon). there’s more character interaction, better jokes, vegeta even does something cool.

resurrection of f is a cash grab. the jokes are almost all jokes from the previous movie (haha beerus and whis like junk food and boring conversation about said junk food), it takes a full hour before the movie feels like it gives a shit, and there’s, like, zero tension the whole way through. Every single moment is boring.

like, it might have some entertainment value if you have no exposure to DBZ? but it’s directly aimed at old fans, so like…

the new forms aren’t even given context! both sides just say “lol we trained”. why’s he blue? why’s he yellow? when did this happen? what’s going on? did I miss a oneshot manga or

the fact that I even give a shit is embarrassing tbh

There was a DBZ movie I saw on TV once that started with Master Roche infiltrating some technobase and kicking ass. That was a good one, mostly because I like old dudes kicking ass.

I think that was The World’s Strongest! That’s also definitely one of the better movies. Most of the good ones were really early when they were closer to Dragon Ball. No power level disparity making characters obsolete, so you get rad stuff like even Roshi getting to do stuff.

Admittedly, Roshi gets to fight in Resurrection of F! But given that at this point in the series, power levels have long since been established, it makes zero sense. Still, buff old dude.

Resurrection of F is in the awkward position of being more “overtly” what a certain set of viewers “wants” out of a Dragonball Z movie (Frieza’s back! Again!), but it’s a sequel to a movie which was about Vegeta trying to keep his wife’s birthday party from ending in the destruction of the planet. So, kind of a tough spot.

It has a lot of rough spots but I started fanboying pretty hard when Jaco showed up. That’s the character-from-200-pages-of-injoke-setup-comic I’m here for, and I didn’t even know he was gonna be in this until he appeared.

1 Like

When/where was Jaco first introduced to the (real) world? I’ve seen battle of the gods and the DB Super version arc of Resurrection of F and so on and there was some flashback bit where apparently he visited earth when bulma was a small child and took his ship for a joy ride at her sister’s place (when did Bulma have a sister while we’re at it?).

He’s a fun idiot to have show up though. Was kinda hoping something was going on when the peanut gallery mentioned he looked slightly similar to frieza. Kinda got my hopes up that maybe Toriyama was thinking about alien genetics and other types of character gimmicks to play with.

Jaco has his own one-volume manga Toriyama wrote shortly before Resurrection of F was announced.

Yeah, some times I feel Roshi really got the short end post DB. I mean I get he’s basically retired but this is still a dude who blew up the goddamn moon.

started the LWA show

budget is noticeably spottier but unsurprisingly i still like this thing a whole lot

akko is probably grating on normal humans but her control over emotions is about the same as mine these days so i guess she makes me feel like less of a freak? anyway she is a good and pure child and i love her

1 Like

meep

1 Like

Damn, that looks about as good as I could’ve hoped. I… think I’ll watch it.

Weird as heck seeing not-Alan Young’s voice coming out of Scrooge though.

Not particularly looking forward to all the hot takes that start with “In the age of Trump.”

hellll yesssss
i will watch all of this all the time

It’s David Tennant! (you might have known that. or dont know who he is and dont care. i just think it’s pretty cool)
(i will miss Alan Young though)

You will believe
a duck can smile

All the voice casting is pretty good! I think it’s all good. Seeing a character who’s only had one voice for all his animated existence (same with Launchpad and Terry McGovern, for that matter) is pretty disorienting, but I’m sure I’ll get over it.

Very happy for Ben Schwartz that he’s in this. That dork.

I’m really just so happy with how this looks, I’m almost embarrassed for myself. I was worrying it was gonna have that hyperactive look of the “new” “classic” Disney™ shorts I can barely stand to watch.