Cartoons (Part 1)

it’s on adult swim now! I didn’t see many robot guts substituting for gore in that trailer…

right, so things are good if they are old, got it

New series is TV-MA.

1 Like

whaaa thats news to me!

Actually I guess that is not true, my bad. Some old news. The new trailers have TV-14 logos.

Yeah, I imagine they would lose a lot of audience if they went TV-MA.

It’s airing on Adult Swim for a reason, they have said they planned to make this a slightly more adult progression on the story. Have no idea if this is supposed to be the final storyline though.

It’s more “that’s his voice, replacing it would be foolhardy at this point, you’d probably get blowback from fans and staff alike”, much like how I’m arguing that, no, you assholes, don’t replace Mako

Jack’s voice is actually pretty close to Phil LaMarr’s actual speaking voice, funnily enough, and I would argue that the occasional hints of accent were to compliment Mako’s Aku reading, to make it actually sound like they’re of the same time and place

edit: keep in mind, I’m not arguing that it isn’t offensive, I’m not stupid, just, Jack is back and sounds like Jack and that’s good for all it entails, warts and all

If the accent was more subtle, would it be ok?

I could argue it would “whitewash” the portrayal of a ethnic character if he spoke perfect American English.

why is he speaking english though. i mean seriously this is not a big deal and i feel like my original comment was more just to get a read on whether or not this is still acceptable

like avatar tla is already crossing the line for me bc it’s mostly white voice actors playing characters that are from culture that are very clearly meant to be e. asian inspired

btw that show also featured mako to amazing effect and when they recast him it was straight bullshit :frowning:

but i feel like at least they can say they aren’t putting on fake accents to make them sound more asian or w/e

samurai jack is probably a great cartoon, i just don’t think it’s necessary to have a non japanese dude doing a fake samurai accent at this point… i mean it’s clearly fantastical as hell, authenticity is a bad argument for something that takes place in that realm. it’s not at all implausible that a magical samurai dystopia or whatever would have an asian looking guy that had no accent.

He was born in Japan and was raised there until he was about 10 (they don’t mention age specifically). He traveled to various lands when he trained (in the past). For me it makes total sense that he can speak English, but still has an accent.

alright. it still sounds fishy as hell but i guess it’s just not for me. ppl seem to be genuinely stoked it’s back on the air so w/e

I actually think the show does a good job of including all sorts of different cultures into Jack’s background.

He is not a traditional Japanese Samurai, but has actually trained across the globe with all sorts of different cultures. If you watch the first few episodes that portray his training I think you’d see this also. I a way he represents all of humanity in his fight against the ultimate evil.

tl;dr: trust me they did their homework for this show.

I feel like you two are arguing two very different points, but also I haven’t been following the discussion all that closely, so maybe I’m mistaken?

In other news about me being wrong, I had a misunderstanding that lead to me watching Kill la Kill, which is alright I guess. I 100% get why anybody would have a problem with it, though.

I think we were just discussing if the accent Jack has is appropriate or not.

What was the misunderstanding about Kill la Kill you had? I thought most people generally liked it? I liked it at least.

I was looking to watch something else by the guy who was a guest animator on Steven Universe, and I thought he worked with Studio Trigger. But I guess his actual credited work is Little Witch Academia and not Kill la Kill, so I guess I just got mixed up! Like I said, it was alright.

Well I would recommend LWA, as a Steven Universe fan myself.

1 Like

he worked on kill la kill too!

Episode 21 was ADed by him and his animation can be found in at least 12 episodes.

1 Like

Oh, I am mistaken twice over, then! Thanks for the correction.

I can at least understand that one, since the character still had shit to do.
The Iroh appearances in Korra felt totally unnecessary given no Mako though.