Cartoons (Part 1)

3 months

2 Likes

I’m kind of bummed it looks like they’re going back to retell the original OAV again, but I’m still hella ready for this

Occultic Nine With Strange Punctuation has figured out how to do the Antipacing. There is no way to watch a whole chapter of this, let alone the whole show.

On the good side of things, Flip Flappers may be good and at least the colors are pretty and there are wide smiles everywhere.

i am watching macross. from jump, everything gets super dour, holy shit. slacktron told me about how the zentradi fit in their pods, so now my knees don’t hurt. also, never realized how much exosquad straight up stole from this show, haha

1 Like

Gotta love some canned zentran.

Also is a nice way to reinforce that being mass produced and ultimately disposable applies to the pilot as well as the machine.

1 Like

Got to finish the first chapter of Occultic;Nine. Cannot wait to see the best animated cuts in sakugabooru, because I am not sure that show wants me to watch it. It’s even making me dislike more Steins;Gate in retrospective.

In all fairness, the first short went “Akko sees an awesome magic show and wants to be a witch!” straight to “Akko is gigantic fuck up at witch school!” so there’s plenty of blanks to fill in (not that either short does a bad job at world building).

All I want from this is repeated and random references to Western cartoons and for Netflix to simulcast it and I already know one of these things is going to happen. I bet you can’t guess which!

yeah, from the moment the first zentran climbed out of his pod and just kinda stumbled forward like a child i’ve expected only tragic space opera and this show is delivering so hard and so well o god.

In a plot twist no one expected there will be a spanish release of the Mob Psycho 100 manga with the first volume coming in two weeks.

I’m watching sailor moon for the first time, I like that the plot to every episode is ‘demons have opened an evil small business’

3 Likes

Because Keijo!!! isn’t enough for stupidly ridiculous anime this season, we have also been blessed with Heybot. A glorified toy commercial with the crudest since of humor imaginable. How this exists I do not know but it is an insanity I can’t help but enjoy. Has a BoBoBo-Bo-BoBoBo feel to it.

guessing I’m not the only one here who finds the animation and design of Right Now Kapow (on Disney XD) unpleasant, if not outright revolting and reprehensible, but i’m curious if anybody knows of another cartoon series that is explicitly about the same small group of characters constantly playing different roles like a real sketch/skit comedy series. Something more than Looney Tunes, or Robot Chicken, or what have thee. Maybe there’s been some web series like this but I’m unaware of any broadcast precedent.

much as I don’t like to look at this show, I caught this one while waiting on something else, and while the punchline is immediately obvious, I appreciate the sincerity with which it is delivered:

2 Likes

I’m going through GDGD Fairies for the first time this year and I honestly am mad that the setup and execution of the Time Travel episode was that unbelievably sharp and detailed

how did this williams street cartoon end up on disney xd

what

3 Likes

I can’t wait for this honestly.

Excellent. I hate how last season ended on a cliff hanger to the good stuff.

Psyched for this. Marathoned season 2 with friends while b l a z e d after Magfest was over earlier this year. They brought this show in an awesome direction.

1 Like

Birdy the Mighty: Decode was pretty dang good! Just a solid, fun show. Despite involving a body-swapping plot device it (mostly) avoids leaning on anything too tired from the trope. Despite the heroine’s revealing uniform she somehow never seems especially sexualized? They never even do the “bad guy underestimates his pretty opponent and gets his comeuppance” thing.

The action sequences are all great, even if they sometimes have to start cutting frames/etc due to budget issues.

The two protagonists don’t fall in love! It’s never even hinted at! They’re friends only, and both go on to have their own star-crossed romances. Holy shit I think that might have been the most refreshing part. The childhood friend girl is also strictly platonic and there’s no love triangles. LOL I can only laugh at the fact that seems novel.

One of the silly recurring jokes actually manages to get funnier as things go on! I’m probably overselling this show now and someone’s going to come in and tell me what a doofus I am but hell, it’s the first time in a while I’ve taken a chance on a random show and not wound up feeling like I wasted my time.

3 Likes

that’s not them cutting corners

that’s called style