Cartoons (Part 1)

not watched the last episode yet, but i visited a bunch of the sarazanmai locations today

1 Like

When I lived in Japan for a year I hung out in Asakusa a fair bit and actually shot a documentary at a shrine that’s just off of Kappabashi-dori. The series made me feel so much nostalgia and I just wanted to wander around there again.

shame they don’t have a spider-verse budget to fully animate all the different multiverse weirdos properly

continue to be fascinated by the weird situation where people who hate ttgo and the characters on ttgo itself keep talking about how much better the original show is

I would have thought people would drop the hate after To The Movies came out and became the best DC movie so far and also way funnier than most comedies released last year, nevermind any single TT ep

1 Like

i thought the hate was unrelated to the original teen titans cartoon, but because young justice got cancelled to make way for the stupid funko pop show

1 Like

YJ got canceled because it wasn’t pushing toys IIRC

with that said, the constant dunks TTG did on both YJ and TT fandoms probably didn’t help

TTG’s main problem is that whoever does scheduling for CN has brainworms and puts it on all the damn time. otherwise it’s a pretty consistently hilarious show

this is cartoon network code for ‘too many girls watched it’

1 Like

i always find CN’s toy excuse weird

static shock was the number 1 show on the network and i guess it literally didn’t have any toys because it was too black

sym-bionic titan was similar in that they didn’t want to make one girl toy?

i feel like anything produced by “man of action”: ben 10, generator rex, or the new megaman show seems like there are already toys produced before the show is even out

it is absolutely staggering that ok k.o. which feels like it was already based on a toy line has zero toys

i want to know about the real toy politics in developing these shows

4 Likes

sym-bionic titan was the first show i heard the excuse attached to, and it’s incredbile they wanted people to believe that they couldn’t market toys based on a giant robot cartoon

3 Likes

At least part of it is that advertisers don’t want to put ads on shows with too broad an audience because they see that as “wasting ads on only half the viewers”

If advertisers aren’t interested, toy companies, which listen to their marketing depts, are also uninterested.

2 Likes

Jonny Quest released on Blu-ray with a new 2K transfer
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jonny-Quest-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/210723/#Review

1 Like

only heard of it now. first ten minutes (?) of the last rebuild evangelion movie will be released in less than a week, now.

1 Like

Power move by khara here.

been dreading these past few days, waiting for my grades to be released so i can leave town.

decided to spend some of that time watching darling in the franxx, the mecha anime where the robot handles are in some girl’s butt and most of the world is kind of a domed not-eden where prepubescent kids live by themselves in a victorian-era palace

why do the robots’ design suck so much? only the main robot looks ok, and even then it takes a while getting used to it. they are aping for evangelion super hard too, it’s nuts, even though the setting is so much more boring because it tries to be western YA sci-fi novel garbage. i’m currently on episode 18/24. i actually enjoy all the characters

the last third of the show so far is literally just this meme and it comes out of nowhere, it's hillarious

1 Like

im not sure where to talk about this, but after getting outed as a pedo manipulator and SEVEN YEARS after the kickstarter, cans without labels was finally released by john k

the guy raised 136k for it on kickstarter and

well i watched it okay, hes charging 25 DOLLARS for his cartoon on his site, but you can find it other places

like i knew it was going to be bad, i loathe john k now. it somehow felt like closure!

it points out that he wasnt the sole person making ren and stimpy good (i already knew this but it was interesting to see in such a like, CONCRETE way) with just how bad it is. it magnifies all the signature john k stuff from ren and stimpy, but without a whole team to elevate john’s drawings from crude doodles to actual comedy
it fucking sucks

john k thinks that weird constant morphing facial expressions and colorful backgrounds is the only reason people loved ren and stimpy so there arent any jokes! theres just a can with a rotten face in it and people making nasty faces themselves about it for like ten fucking minutes. the face-making realy drags on. like the pacing of everything has to stop so an idiot’s mouth can contort for three seconds

theres a donald duck character named DONALD BASTARD and he smokes. thats the whole joke.

also george liquor falls so flat, like the terror of alcoholic abuser that he had in the dog show episode isnt fucking there at all, he just seems washed up and over-acting to keep attention
like father like son i guess!

5 Likes

god

fucking

I thought all the crap I wrote about Franxx would ward people off it

and you fuckers keep trying to watch it

also you are wrong, the robot designs rule because the designer (same guy who did stuff for Star Driver, which also has “good mecha design” as its only plus) understands that naked apron is a powerful level of thirst and made a robot that was that

i loathe this dude and the fact that i thought ren and stimpy was cool when i was a kid is the clearest sign to me that something was wrong with me as a kid, but

but

this is funny as fuck and in something that didn’t suck i would probably love it

2 Likes

DONALD BASTARD would be funny in a different context yea

one punch man is a narrative shell game where you have to find a way to distract saitama and the audience long enough for him not the solve the problem instantly and and they really couldn’t pull it off this year

3 Likes

So… One Punch Man = Hamlet?

1 Like