Buying a TV, please send help

next time you play with it do the ufo test from blur busters if you can, the motion resolution is the thing LCDs can’t do

black = off in tandem with the instantaneous pixel response time is what makes the black frame insertion close to crt refresh

1 Like

What picture settings do you use on your CX @doolittle ? I can’t seem to get bfi to apply consistently to mine

well, there’s also this at basically the same price point. I’d be losing 2" off my current set which is this one, but that’s a small loss to me

oh i’m doing it in software on the source with VRR hmm

this is annoying bc my television runs at 120hz but it won’t show me the 120hz test. what should I be looking for anyway?

I thought VRR disabled BFI? Or you mean you’re giving it 120Hz VRR in and 60 of those 120Hz are blank frames?

ahh fuck it I went for the 55" C1

3 Likes

the latter, but now i’m gonna try getting the tv’s working

my desktop monitor syncs the BFI and VRR so i’m curious

1 Like

oh i missed this but no trails on the ufos even on the black to white transitions

run it on your c1 and marvel at it

1 Like

Awesome move. I’d probably constantly obsess over uneven wear if I had an OLED.

And now I’ve been given a 77" G1 that will replace my 73" Mitsubishi DLP assuming I can fix the minor issue with it.

2 Likes

aaaaand it arrived with a huge crack in the screen. LG’s warranty doesn’t cover physical damage, but I’m still wondering if it’s worth repairing instead because I got it at a discount and this particular model is increasingly hard to find… and besides that, I don’t know if I have it in me to re-package this monstrous thing to ship it back. I hate my life also no one can ever tell me again that mercury in retrograde isn’t real because my surge protector blew up yesterday and my lamp also broke. who knows what other devices will shatter in the coming weeks.

6 Likes

ok yeah as expected it’s just as expensive to repair to buy a new one.

in what is perhaps the most midlife crisis dad move of my entire life, I said fuck it and went the best buy and walked out with a C2 and a best buy credit card

10 Likes

wait you don’t have consumer protection on goods that are broken on arrival??

we should, the warranty is irrelevant for DOA stuff, you just need to snap a photo of it like partially opened and damaged and the vendor will replace it

yeah you can just send that stuff back with the ups person or whoever if you’re there for delivery. when I got my kuro plasma I wanted to look at it to make sure the glass wasn’t cracked before I signed for it, and every piece of sheet metal I ever ordered for my car looked like it arrived fresh from a car wreck and had to be resent several times

2 Likes

replacement was not option this time for some reason. I think bc I bought it at a discount, or inventory is limited.

like I’m getting refunded for it… I could buy another one, but at a higher price, and I’d likely have to wait several weeks for shipping to turn around. and I didn’t want to risk being shipped another one that was cracked, like happened to parker. I’m disabled from long covid right now so the prospect of going through all of this again is unfavorable. just unboxing and setting up the damn thing left me covered in sweat and winded… then I had to dissemble and repackage it for the UPS return. shit like this hurts bad these days. I had to call a friend to help me with the one I got from best buy.

9 Likes

caught up on this thread and then looked at the TVs that are out there. we bought a 1080p 55" Insignia TV two or three years ago, and I’m now hoping it lasts for a long, long time, because non-smart TVs in that size range are almost extinct (however, it’s Best Buy’s Insignia brand so I don’t have very high expectations for longevity, alas)

feel like I can survive without 4K for a while and maybe forever

1 Like

I bought a $125 power board on eBay and fixed this free broken 77" G1. It works perfectly now.

I’m interested in any settings recommendations!

7 Likes