Buying a TV, please send help

you can move your own topics by clicking on the pencil next to the topic name :slight_smile:

but I’ll do this one while I’m here

2 Likes

Woah! I did not know that. Thanks!

I moved into a new apartment and this time I actually do really plan to buy a TV! Does anyone have any updates or new advice on the subject?

I’m currently considering the TCL 6 series, because it seems like it does a lot of premium TV stuff on a budget. I’m really not trying to go above $500 here.

Saw this suspiciously cheap $400 refurb deal on it, but it seems way too good to be true. I’m skeptical, will prolly just get it at Best Buy, where they have an exclusive $500 model that’s cheaper than usual because it cuts out voice control (which I don’t want anyway).

3 Likes

Yeah sorry OSB I have no input I’m going to cling to my 2011-vintage Samsung until the heat death of the universe

2 Likes

I hovered around TV forums for a while last year before picking up a TV and the TCL 6 was considered the best thing under the $900 tier. My brother had just picked one up when I visited him a few weeks ago, and…I preferred my 2007-era 720p plasma; but then, I’ve never been happy with LCD tech.

Another tidbit: TV prices drop from release until replacement, so the cheapest time to buy one is April right before next year’s model. I was able to purchase a 55" OLED for $1150 last year, same as the plasma cost a decade before. It seems like they’re already hitting that price now, so they will probably hit $800 or so next April.

1 Like

For TV research, I generally start with CNET’s top X list and go from there.

RTings is good for checking viewing angles. Especially at the higher prices levels, where a lot of TVs still have crap angles, despite their high dollar prices.

CNET generally favor Vizio for image quality in bang for buck. From what I gather, TCL is only in the running because it has excellent smart features, but are otherwise just ok on image quality. Adequate, not bottom barrel terrible, as their pricing may imply.

But, you can buy smart features in a stick nowadays or use many other devices. So, I wouldn’t buy a TV specifically for smart features.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t connect a smart tv to the internet, they monitor your viewing habits and report back to the mothership so that data can be monetized

1 Like

Yeah but good luck finding a really high quality screen that doesn’t have all the smart features.

That said, you can always just not connect it to wifi.

1 Like

Yes, I meant to imply that you shouldn’t connect the TV to the network (though apparently some of them are so dedicated to selling you out they look for open networks and automatically join (!!)) and instead use a dedicated device (which is also probably selling you out but at least it’s not actively scraping your screen)

how far we’ve fallen as a society that “scraping your screen” no longer refers to using busted ass regex

3 Likes

No one has the money to test all these TVs. It’s all internet clowns.

When I was researching and browsing places like avforums, it seemed like the people who establish these places as home base tended to be television calibrators or engineers or salespeople, or the type of pesterer who frequents TV shops and asks to set up the demo rooms when new models come in.

It’s odd to my eyes (I’d rather develop taste and critical skills about what I put on the screen), but there’s real knowledge embedded in those communities.

1 Like

over here amazon are still selling bravias from immediately before they put android on them so i’d probably just get one of those, has worked out pretty well for me

1 Like

I briefly joined the avs forum to ask a question about the kuro I was going to get and they were all like “post pictures once you get it!!” and I was like, “no, I don’t think I will do that. thank you but I’m never returning to this place if I can help it”

We do that on Talkbass, too. :notes:

1 Like

i think my big five year old vizio just died??? anyway i might buy an lg oled (or sony??) or some shit now but i just thought i’d post here in case anyone has any big insight i wouldn’t get anywhere else (my first thought was oh yeah didn’t osb have a tv thread last year? and lol) (felix i’m not getting a projector)

3 Likes

Love my LG OLED. The CX and newer models have support for 120hz. Black frame insertion and a good CRT shader work very nicely.

1 Like

hmm… idk… I’m watching west side story on this model right now and it looks great…

2 Likes

I’m playing Sonic 06 on my TV and it looks great because anything looks great on it regardless of quality

7 Likes