bulletin witch

Yeah, when we talked about it before I think we came to the general structural problems affecting all online journalism (the death of ad-supported websites), exacerbated by the heavy move to streamers and youtubers for aspiring game critics, leading to a talent drain for normal words on a page criticism.

It makes me sad because I think smart criticism is absolutely necessary but I find video essays absolutely intolerable

5 Likes

Yeah, web 3.33 or whatever version we are (not) on has turned sharply into video content and I have little to no interest in watching any YouTubes longer then 30 seconds, let alone somebody streaming a video game, so I’m missing a lot of what’s happening these days.

4 Likes

It is not the highest thing on the list of things that are terrible about gamer gate but I also am annoyed that gamer gate has broadly associated criticizing the video game press with misogynist nazis.

I mean, there’s a huge difference between what’s being said here and all the awful gamer gate shit, but, y’know.

Good game journalism and Insert Credit were synonymous. The best game journalism started as a con to get Brandon and Tim into E3 before they were developers.

It’d be hard to create a business that could fund that sort of passionate writing about video-games.

4 Likes

But it did! On a certain scale! For about a decade!

The movement bled into certain mainstream sites and my now-out-of-date reading habits reflect that. Those sites have now bled away the talent influence by that movement and they’ve regressed to My First Sociological Thinkpieces that want to question subject matter and cultural context but do so in a way that reads as hopelessly naive and fueled by only the most brief of short-from social media conversations, or simplistic mechanical analyses that attempt to negotiate Good Design from Bad Design but Don’t Worry We’re Not IGN.

3 Likes

tune in to my new youtube series Their Politics Are Fine I Myself Am The Cuckest of SJWs But I Really Want To Hate On This Professional They-Got-Paid-For-This Writer’s Prose Stylings On A Sentence-By-Sentence Level

3 Likes

youtube.com/pettybullshit420

1 Like

undoubtedly a certain amount of this is due to the fact that I’m now old enough to have learned much of what 20-somethings discover about connecting media to the world, and I’m ruthless about casting aside criticism that is only weakening my knowledge

2 Likes

The funny thing about it, is that everyone still wishes they were as good as Tim.

looks like they are sending out alpha test codes to people who have played Nioh on PS4. no signup. check your associated inboxes.

I literally started lurking IC because the idea of a community formed at least in part around writing that struck me as built on a foundation of embracing the absolute worst instincts someone can have (Tim’s) dumbfounded me.

I hated it.

12 Likes

The 25th annual Interactive Fiction Competition is soliciting survey responses; the survey link is here, for easier access: https://t.co/reFyJZwEVv

3 Likes

https://www.chexmix.com/chexquest/

chex quest re-release

8 Likes

I can be kept up at night from visions of sentient cereal being eaten alive by flemoids all over again!!

6 Likes

the funny thing about pathologic is that if the sequel is dismissed as “unfun”, “clunky”, or “miserable to play”, it’s indistinguishable from praise. it’s the perfect crime

4 Likes

Oh neat, it has all three episodes.

1 Like

i realized no one was paying attention when a few years ago a journalist accused matthew seiji of being a white rando stealing their ideas, and not like, an established not-white games writer

like i wanna pound my fist and get mad that no one reads but who has time? they have to play 90 hour rpgs in two days now

like raziel said its all structurally broken

and the stuff that pulls numbers is bullshit listicles and tips. everyones discouraged from writing anything meaningful! oh its such a clusterfuck

i like that mandalore’s review of it is ‘you can sprint’

4 Likes

my brother has been claiming this game is excellent and demanding i install it
i keep brushing him off!