bulletin witch

http://www.stretch.site

2 Likes

New boxart for Judge Eyes NEW PRICE EDITION coming July 18th.

Not sure if I said it straight up here but I would maybe wait till a price drop on Judgement. Following Kiwami. Zero, Six (Ihaven’t played K2 or FotNS) it has the weakest structure. I got 10 hours in and just had to stop not because I couldn’t understand it (It was surprisingly playable) but it was boring. Really boring. The opening hour does a great setting you up and them it just drops you in duldrums. Slowly tail a lead, walk around in first person until you find a cat in a locked space (I know this sounds great and it is, but it is a bonus when you are just looking for the things to find), use the drone awkwardly, lockpick, and then RgG battle system. All the mechanic stuff is fine I suppose but there is no twist to the story or side story.

I have definitely read and played too much at this point but knowing exactly what the reveals were eventually going to be solidified the bad feeling of how boring everything was.

The theme is still Is There Still Honor Among The Yakuza? Which well. You make a game about a retired-Lawyer turned PI and that is still the plot? Rip off a B-Plot from Hama Maiku! The side quests I did see where either Extremely Boys Will Be Boys or a woman thinks her husband is cheating turns out he was.

I don’t want to go to a Girl’s Bar and then drink until I’m blackout because the big boobed maid isn’t good at talking.

2 Likes

I’m cracking up that YIIK apparently plagurized a Murakami novel, and then defends it because YIIK “Is a homage” and there is an elaborate in game universe reason why it’s directly copying text from the book and this whole thing is just so brand for this disaster I can’t help but find it funny.

11 Likes

I mean as lame and cringey as yiik looks I feel like that’s a fair enough rationale and people should be free to reference and quote other works of literature without needing to cite it if it’s part of a work of fiction

but the scene in which it’s used and the context of the quote are so godawful that I kind of don’t mind seeing him squirm over it

11 Likes

this guy seems really dumb and bad in a way where I expect him to yell at japanese developers during the next gdc

2 Likes

at least phil fish made a game that wasn’t embarrassing to look at

7 Likes

I would like to state that I do think using text fragments is fine…It’s just that having an elaborate in universe justification for copying unattributed Murakami quotes feels so hilariously on brand for this game.

Like this is less of a ‘he must be PUNISHED’ thing and more of an ‘of COURSE he did’ thing.

4 Likes

Well this is gaining more traction.

There are these short films I am hoping to make, adaptations of classic stories by one of the most brilliant, quirky, and original writers our genre has ever produced. I’ve consulted on a video game out of Japan. And then there’s Meow Wolf…

1 Like

does this mean I can’t smugly hate on game of thrones anymore, or does it mean it’s time to start smugly hating on dark souls?

I get wanting to root for YIIK to meet yet another disgrace because it sounds like that game is the worst.

But I’d have a hard time wanting to find myself allied with the kinds of absolute goons gleefully screaming plagiarism in the Kotaku comments.

And quoting Murakami like this without citation is 100% fine.

7 Likes

Smugly hate yourself and be free

4 Likes

Watch me flex and do all three :triumph:

5 Likes

I keep conflating this with Else Heart.Break() and feeling bad that I spent my money on it, but I think I probably don’t have a key for this game floating around anywhere in my collection. Pretty glad I won’t be tempted to play it out of morbid curiosity.

the YIIK thing is exactly the same as (or even more ridiculous than) the time I noticed this guy in a creative writing class “paying homage” to Silver Jews lyrics by including them verbatim in the poetry he wrote, and then we became friends because I guess I passed the test for being cool enough to see what he was doing

like, it is hilarious to think the solution to this would be to put a footnote or whatever, but just quoting shit word for word without any other indication of what you’re doing (especially when they are not even particularly memorable or profound quotes from the book) is the stupidest and most elitist way to advertise your taste to other people who you want to seem cool to

8 Likes

I mean, this is the kinda dude who put “Postmodern” in the title of his own thing, so I think its pretty obvious what a boring hack he is.

Or it was made even moreso after he went all GAMERS R SO DUMB FOR NOT LOVING MY STUFF on a podcast.

3 Likes

Great rhyme, both of you

5 Likes

This is a smart thing for a storefront without a shopping cart feature to do:

2 Likes

wait what

1 Like

Yeah and on that note - if everything else about the game wasn’t already so insufferable, I think something like this would come across totally differently, as just kind of wide-eyed fandom or something. It’s part of a bigger pattern of red flags with this game

1 Like