bulletin witch

Seconding that Arcus Odyssey owns

But you gotta play as the whipchain lady or else you’re gonna have a bad time

Disaster Report 4 for Switch (in Japan, at least).
6 Likes

Wow nice graphics

Yeah that surprised me. I think the game looks pretty neat.

Is the included ebook baked into the Castlevania Collection, or is it something that can be downloaded to read on a phone/eReader?

Yeah, I was going to say that Rare got a lot of design feedback from Nintendo while designing DKC (IIRC), and it really shows. It’s hard to think of very many preceeding/contemporary western-developed platformers with a comparable design ethos.

Plok! comes pretty close, but it reads more as an intermediate form to me. It’s got the deliberate flow and iteration of stage mechanics for most of the game, but it also has some really weird stage topologies (like a stage that splits off into two loops at the start, and you have to complete both loops to finish the level) that seem to stem from the old desire to create sprawling, intricate places.

6 Likes

Oh, that’s a good way to think about it, directly being taught Japanese platformer level design as opposed to their western/PC platformer instincts.

2 Likes

Western-style platformer design is fantastic, don’t @ me

12 Likes

forgot about

2 Likes

Rudie failed to mention that the JP just got Revenge of Shinobi and we get SONIC SHITBALL

Also, some other Castlevania collection was announced that has SotN and Rondo.

EDIT by announced I mean it’s been out for like a year. How is it?

2 Likes

you talking about the ps4 one?

@B_coma is king

It’s really weird how all the PS4 ports of Final Fantasys are just getting left in the dirt now

(the bug is still present in the PS4 and I think also the PC versions)

1 Like

excuse me that’s not a minor bug

6 Likes

Akihabara’s Beep is gonna Publish Cotton for PC, PS4, and Switch!

4 Likes

does Success just not care enough to do it themselves

Because you asked I went and read the Famitsu interview.

They started talks in 2016 after Rocket Engine got Cotton as a bonus character in Trouble Witches. It is actually Rocket Engine handling the port which will include an arrange mode and a physical edition for the Switch and PS4.

I think it is like a lot of recent retro revivals of just going to the license holders and going “we can do this” and then they are allowed to do it.

But Beep confirmed that since this is #1 they are also working on #2 and #3 but only expect Cotton this year. It’s vague but it sounded like 2 and 3 are also going to be shooters. Looks like Rocket Engine is also handling the development of those as well?

This port is based off the 68000 version which had some balance adjustments.

2 Likes

more importantly

In addition to the reboot version, Beep also announced plans to re-release the X68000 version of Cotton as a physical floppy disk for the platform this summer.

4 Likes

a nice site for Cotton’s 40th (?!) anniversary:

I’m impressed they put screenshots of Rainbow Cotton on that page because that game is fantastically (night dreams) awful

So like some dude I follow on youtube happened to be streaming a game called Hades. Did y’all know Supergiant was making a new game and it’s another iteration on Bastion > Transistor and this time is a roguelite based on Greek mythology what the fuuuuuck?

He said you could get it on the Epic games launcher, which I didn’t even know was a thing that existed. Did you know Annapurna, the people who published Gorogoa and What Remains of Edith Finch, have released a Soulslike with Journeyesque passive multiplayer called Ashen?

WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE why have you not told me about these things?

3 Likes