Bloodborne October/November Book Club

oh, i also saw rom in a tiny room and that’s about where i stopped on chalice dungeons.

i would 100% understand why someone would think that unreasonable.

especially once i got past the first phase.

1 Like

That’s where I stopped too…

I beat Chalice Rom without any difficulty (probably another DEX thing), but I stopped playing without ever beating Chalice Amygdala, Abhorrent Beast and Laurence. They’re all tediously bad, don’t gate much content (Ihyll and the final Chalice boss look anticlimactic from what I’ve seen in a Let’s Play) and I didn’t feel like I would get anything out of learning to beat them.

i’m pretty sure i could’ve done it if i had switched to the axe for better area coverage

but at that point i was like laughing and went haha no i’ll come back for you later

this game is soo hard to me. I don’t know what it is but it took me ages to get to the first boss (Cleric Beast and the Other One) and I just could barely get anywhere against them so I quit. I got pretty far in Dark Souls and beat Demon’s Souls, but this one… fills me with despair

it took about 5 hours for the game to ‘click’ with me, and then it was smooth sailing

there’s a point where you have to stop playing it like it’s demon’s souls or dark souls and start playing bloodborne, because it’s asking different things of you

(tbh, every time i’ve tried to play the game like it’s a dark souls invincible dodge fest instead of just playing footsies w/ spacing/positioning i’ve died, including today)

2 Likes

I had a hell of a time going from Demon’s to DkS1 because Demon’s overtrained me to rely on stunlock and aggro manipulation, and had very regular dodge pacing in the faster boss fights like Flamelurker and Penetrator. I had a 75 hour first clear of DkS1 partly because of getting stuck in Tomb of Giants and getting cursed and such, but mostly because I was bad and couldn’t perceive how I needed to change to stop being bad.

I think Demon’s especially trains the player to lean on one-dimensional cheese tactics so it’s almost an anti-training for the rest of the series, which does less and less gimmicky encounter and boss design (or contradictory gimmicks)

I used to think that the Abhorrent Beast was bullshit “Get one hit in and then back off” design until I fought them with the Chikage, trying to stick as close as possible the whole time, and it became one of the game’s most exhilarating fights. Right now I’m pretty sure the only bosses I dislike are the undead giant variants; as bosses, their movesets are too limited and hit too hard, especially in the case of the one with chains attached to their back.

1 Like

undead giant with chains gave me more trouble than i’d like to admit

the undead giants, the bosses that one hit ko’d me if I made a mistake

NIGHTMARE SLAIN

in one session, where i was apparently on fire, i finished up all the dlc weapons, beat laurence, gehrman, and moon presence in a bit of a self-boss-rush.

final stats: 46 hours(dlc+cleanup took 18 hours, wow), lv96, vit 40, end 26, str 38, skl 12, bld 5, arc 25. also i had 200 blood vials in stock going into the final boss and i don’t want to know how many i have now.

i’ll have some thoughts on the game coming up soon but i need to give it a rest for a little bit to let brains gestate on it

plip plop

3 Likes

I was making slow headway until I got my clock cleaned by father gascoine . Shouldn’t take more than another try or two to get his timing down though.

Man, the first time I ran into the giant poison pig it was terrifying!

1 Like

I have been slowly been chipping away at a platinum for a bit, down to just the chalice boss and remaining endings, but I don’t think I’m interested enough to beat the Defiled Chalice dungeon right now without cheesing it in ways I’m not interested in cheesing it. So I’m probably actually done now.

Still intend on writing up thoughts, and they’re coming together lately! I like a lot of what this game does in terms of setting. Like. A lot. And I don’t think it all came together for me just how much so until the DLC areas.

edit: unrelatedly, NG+ really doesn’t seem that difficult.

2 Likes

(src)

also i’m hearing it’s free on PS+ in march?

7 Likes

I just started playing this (figured with all the likely new PS+ people joining in it’ll be more active) and… I’m rather bad at it! My deal with Souls games is that I lean heavily on the shield early on until I get the timing down, at which point I dodge a lot more. That obviously can’t be done here.

Also I forgot that triangle heals and I keep hitting up on the d-pad instead, which sacrifices health.

Also I haven’t used the gun yet as I keep forgetting it is a thing.

Also I selected to use (as opposed to equip) the intro weapon so I died to the initial enemy several times as I thought you had to defeat it with your bare hands before you gained the right to use your weapon.

Other than that I’ve done well!

2 Likes

when all else fails just mash your gun until you hear the gong

1 Like

have been almost done with a second playthrough on a skill/blood char since i wanted to be a nerd and use the chikage.

this is a lot harder than kirkhammer tbh. i actually need to know mechanics now, i can’t just run up and smash things into little puddles of blood.

yes do still intend on that writeup, Soon[tm]

Since this is going to be on PS+ I’m going to try again. What loadout should I use? I tried the blunderbuss last time for crowd control but it seems to suck for parrying.

All of the starter kit is good. Hunter pistol is strictly better than the shotty tho. Cane needs a skill build but it’s badass, can do everything well. Axe and Saw Cleaver are both silly good, cleaver is esp good for the first few bosses cos damage bonus against beasts, but the axe has better range and a cheapo spin attack, has better heath recovery on hit, is a little more versatile overall. You really can’t go wrong

First time out I’d take axe and pistol

The hunter axe is just absurd. i want to do a chikage run soon too, but i almost can’t conceive of going through this game without the axe.

1 Like