Being Attitude for Gains (gym thread)

In other news, I have, in theory, switched to “cutting” since the beginning of the month. Not terribly effective so far but it’s true I haven’t been terribly dilligent either with my calorie intake. Anyway I think this is as big I’m going to get in this half-year so might as well start cutting for the warm season.

So, In the meantime I switched the seam10mmfitness 5x5 with another modified 5x5 + a few isolation exercises. Not too much to talk about now because I’ve also stopped lifting and switched it up with boyweight calisthenics + cardio now. I’m not completely comfortable with it yet because these exercises tend to be more athletically demanding so I feel like a complete beginner now (I suck at diamond pushups)

Also, it feels weird to substitute 45 min of lifting with 25 min of beginner calisthenics? It’s probably not a 1:1 substitute but I don’t know where to begin to search for a workout that will take me a comparable amount of effort to lifting…

I also do HIIT cardio on some days off. That feels pretty good, at least time-wise. I’d rather do 8 mins of HIIT than 60 min of low-intensity treadmill or whatever.

I have started drinking more green tea and more water, and will start to take BCAAs soon. Let’s see how that goes!

1 Like

You mind posting your non weightlifitng work out?

Sure

Calisthenics

• Tricep dips x12
  • Wall sit 20 sec
  • Bodyweight squats x15
  • Push ups x8
  • Mountain climbers 6 sec
  • Diamond push ups x7

4 rounds of these with 90sec max rest between rounds

HIIT

In sequence:

• High knees 20 sec
  • Burpees x 8
  • High knees 20 sec
  • Burpees x8
  • Bodyweight squats x15
  • Plank 25 sec
  • Bodyweight squats x15
  • Lunges x10
  • Push ups x10
  • Lunges x10
  • Push ups x10

One round of this, with minimal rest

1 Like

i am on a water fast for as long as i can manage

into day 3

2 Likes

doin like I usually do and rampin up my activity through summer. gonna spend some time this week hiking and swimming for starters. It’s finally longboarding and skating weather so I’m gonna be able to do that now too!

Headed to buy some more kettle weights (THE ONE I HAVE NOW IS 10 POUNDS) because the kettlebell swing has gotten easy enough for me now I can’t feel the weight. just doing what I think is sets of pushups where I do ten pushups, break for 20 seconds or so, and then repeat that four or five times. it’s definitely helped heal the shoulder I dislocated a lot and I can finally lift it again

2 Likes

How’d it go?

I’ve been back on the weightloss train for a couple weeks now and I’m seeing results. After the last attempt half a year ago didn’t go all the way, as I would have liked it to. I still got months of hard times ahead of me. I do some working out at home with elastic bands, push ups and all that. Thinking about doing Muay Thai. I’ve got a good place for that just some minutes from my place. I’ll go for a test training soon.

I’ve bought boxes and boxes of cheap protein bars to supplement and keep the hunger down. It’s been working great so far!

1 Like

had to pull the plug on it after 5 days because i caught a lurgy

prepping for another attempt this week

i don’t fit into my trousering of choice at the moment and it’s pissing me off immensely

2 Likes

oh eah, what do you recommend? I wanna get some decent ones that taste good. I thought I’d found some awesome tasting ones but they had more sugar than just eating a snickers.

Worked for Lagerfeld!

if you can’t be energised by the example of luxury reptiles what hope

@Brooks That’s a long time already though! Good job!

@GRIMglamfire I can’t really help you with tasty. What I buy are just the cheapest… not the best tasting ones. I mean, I use them for the purpose of not starving, so I just wolf them down. I buy this combo: Triple Bar Deal von Bodylab24 kaufen | Bodylab24 Shop but that’s not gonna be of much use to you, because the shipping costs are probably going to be outrageous.

What’s important to me is that they’re really protein bars and not energy bars. The ones I buy have from 200 to 250 kcal per piece and I can eat up to four of them per day. Plus the sugary water I drink plus some toasts and I’m already at 1600 kcal and that’s where I try to be, daily.

The tastiest fucking protein bars I ever ate were from Aldi, a German supermarket/discounter chain. They were so good, they became my favorite bars period. I bought them in boxes but after a week or so they disappeared because that’s how Aldi works, they have these limited time specials and then they’re gone… They were super cheap too, cheaper than what I’m buying now. I wish I could buy those all the time. They didn’t just taste great, they had great consistency/mouthfeel as well. The bars I buy now are just rubbery and tough as shoe soles, not really fun to eat.

1 Like

Did the Muay Thai training yesterday. My shoulders, neck and abs are busted. Calves and back are a little sore. I was the only newcomer and all the other people were better at the exercises than me. That hurts more than the muscle soreness.

Next training is tomorrow and I don’t know how I’m going to recover in time for that. I just won’t. I don’t want to skip it, though.

I’ve heard localizing weight loss to a specific area is a myth, but can anything be done about stubborn belly fat?

You need a drastic diet change. Exercise/lifting is mostly about building strength and flexibility. Most of your fat loss is actually going to come from diet change.

I am a big proponent of fat adapted diets/“zero carb” diets. And for some people, it seems like Intermittent fasting is beneficial. Although I dont like it for me, personally.

At the least, clean up your diet. Less refined carbs and sugars (oatmeal instead of cereal or toast, etc). Emphasize veggies, rather than fruit. Drink plain coffee instead of the high sugar/high calorie Starbucks types. No soft drinks. No juice. Smaller portions of carb heavy meals, like pastas and casseroles.

On cheat days, still be moderate. Have a beer or two. Have some ice cream, not half the container.

2 Likes

Seconded. Not eating that muffin requires far less time and effort than 30 min on the elliptical to burn it off anyways (at least physically. If you have a sweet tooth, it may take a week or so for your body to stop craving refined carbs)

There’s some recent-ish research that showed that some cardio after directly stimulating blood circulation around specific body parts showed a bit of increased fat loss around that bodypart but it’s not really a conclusive or significant enough result to rely on it. The absolute best results come from adjusting your diet

1 Like

I wish I could describe my belly fat as “stubborn”

my belly fat is eternal

my belly fat is the belly fat that will rend the veil that ushers in The End

someday my belly fat will be an organic dyson sphere surrounding our sun

all will be born into my belly fat

they shall know no world but my belly fat

2 Likes

It was a belly planet. A Shrug planet.

An “atlas shrug” if you will