Atari 50: Blood on the Sand

Seeing how my Raspberry Pi can’t run Tempest 2000 full speed (and trying to remember how to access save states or do anything else in retroarch is too much of a hassle for me), and I’m a Minter Maniac (sorry Mikey) this was a day one must buy.

Besides Tempest, I also played through half of Dark Chambers last night. For those unaware

Gauntlet:Dark Chambers::Homo Sapiens: Pan troglodytes

With Dandy being whatever the “missing link” is.

I also tried to remember how to play Secret Mission, which is the 2600 trying it’s hardest to do a barebones series of Zelda 1 dungeons.

I was totally blindsided by Fight For Life, a texture mapped 3D fighter on the Jaguar that I don’t even remember getting the briefest of a mention in EGM back when. One of the programmers from Virtua Fighter designed and programmed it all by himself. While the visuals are pretty impressive for the time, it lacks that clunky grace that VF1 had and attacks slowly chip away at the health bar, so it all just feels kind of frustrating.

I tried the tutorial of the reimagined Haunted House. It’s a lot of text tips leading up to the big moment of avoiding a ghost that chance put too far away to even be a factor. I’m hoping the actual levels are a bit more gripping.

There’s a ton of stuff in here, including what appears to be some unlockable games presumably if you go through the very meaty main exhibit mode. Has anyone else dove into this?

18 Likes

For some fun context I went to Best Buy looking for this last night, and was totally taken off guard that the new release racks right in the front were totally dedicated to some new God of War and a Call of Duty game, neither of which I was aware of. I had to fall back on Target (where I could also score some fresh bananas).

This was me standing in the Madden launch line at Gamestop all over again because it coincided with the second shipment of NES Classics coming in.

11 Likes

Oh and since the Switch doesn’t have achievements, my DIY version is locating the “mild sexual themes” promised on the back of the box.

13 Likes

I plan to pick this up eventually! Excited for more impressions.

3 Likes

Oh shoot. Yeah looks like there are at least three games in there I want to try. Could very well end up in tears but anyway I’m in on this.

2 Likes

remaster of yar’s revenge (star castle) is probably worth it for me, will ikely be disappoint but most games do that so i’m not too concern

3 Likes

Wishing we could get a rerelease of the Activision collection as well, but this one looks rad, yeah. I’m gonna grab it eventually, I know.

2 Likes

I like the idea of this but the game list isn’t enough to make me grab it immediately. Too bad they couldn’t team up with whoever owns the rights to more of the games. I wonder if that could be a DLC possibility.

I’d particularly like to revisit more 5200 games, as I’ve never been able to get those working well in an emulator.

I think this is the full list:

Arcade

1 Akka Arrh
2 Asteroids
3 Asteroids Deluxe
4 Black Widow
5 Breakout
6 Centipede
7 Cloak & Dagger
8 Crystal Castles
9 Fire Truck
10 Food Fight
11 Gravitar
12 I, Robot
13 Liberator
14 Lunar Lande
15 Major Havoc
16 Maze Invaders
17 Millipede
18 Missile Command
19 Pong
20 Quantum
21 Space Duel
22 Sprint 8
23 Super Breakout
24 Tempest
25 Warlords

“Reimagined”

1 Haunted Houses
2 Neo Breakout
3 Quadratank
4 Swordquest: AirWorld
5 VCTR-SCTR
6 Yars’ Revenge Enhanced

1 Bounty Bob Strikes Back!
2 Caverns of Mars
3 Food Fight
4 Miner 2049er
5 Yoomp!

1 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe
2 Adventure
3 Air-Sea Battle
4 Asteroids
5 Basic Math
6 Breakout
7 Canyon Bomber
8 Centipede
9 Combat
10 Combat Two
11 Crystal Castles
12 Dark Chambers
13 Demons to Diamonds
14 Dodge ‘Em
15 Fatal Run
16 Gravitar
17 Haunted House
18 Millipede
19 Missile Command
20 Outlaw
21 Quadrun
22 Race 500
23 RealSports Baseball
24 RealSports Basketball
25 RealSports Boxing
26 RealSports Football
27 RealSports Soccer
28 RealSports Tennis
29 RealSports Volleyball
30 Saboteur
31 Secret Quest
32 Solaris
33 Super Breakout
34 Surround
35 Swordquest: EarthWorld
36 Swordquest: FireWorld
37 Swordquest: WaterWorld
38 Warlords
39 Yars’ Revenge

1 Bounty Bob Strikes Back!
2 Millipede
3 Missile Command
4 Star Raiders (+ Enhanced Version)
5 Super Breakout

1 Asteroids
2 Basketbrawl
3 Centipede
4 Dark Chambers
5 Fatal Run
6 Ninja Golf
7 Scrapyard Dog

Handheld

1 Touch Me

Jaguar

1 Atari Karts
2 Club Drive
3 Cybermorph
4 Evolution Dino Dudes
5 Fight For Life
6 Missile Command 3D
7 Ruiner Pinball
8 Tempest 2000
9 Trevor McFur In The Crescent Galaxy

Lynx

1 Basketbrawl
2 Malibu Bikini Volleyball
3 Scrapyard Dog Lynx
4 Super Asteroids & Missile Command
5 Turbo Sub

Total: 103

12 Likes

I knew damn well the “50” was the anniversary but for some reason I also just assumed there’d only be 50 games on it

2 Likes

This video with a little footage of each (I think) game has been somewhat useful:

2 Likes

(not from the game; hopefully will get to play a little of a bunch of stuff tonight)

1 Like

Feels like this needs Activision games, both for the history and to have more games I’d actually want to play. Obviously not really possible, though

There’s a few omissions that feel really glaring.
No Battlezone is a big one, same as no Gauntlet or Paperboy or STUN Runner. I know that Yar’s Revenge was going to be a licensed title originally, so the original Star Castle would have been very appreciated too.

Andthe 7800 Skateboard game was fun at the time, but not ESSENTIAL the way Gauntlet or Battlezone is.

On a quick skim-play, there are five or so games in here that I might be able to hang with, three of which I’d never even heard of before, one of those of which is the closest thing to a type of game I’ve been looking for for the past oh maybe six months or so and it seemed like a simple and fairly common concept but I couldn’t seem to find anyone who had come close to getting it right and it turns out that maybe someone did 40 years ago. I don’t want to get too excited in case it turns out to have strobing blobs on level 5 or something but it’s too late I’m already excited. And the aesthetic of it is incredible, I don’t know how this has happened. ~~~

The aesthetic of the collection as a whole is very nice, kudos to whoever designed the look and sound of the main menus–sleek and chill and highlighting the original artwork and visual style. It’s on a level way above Digital Eclipse’s usual look which tended to settle for being cartoonishly colorful and functional. It’s actually got a mood to it.

1 Like

Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe feel like the stone cold classics they are. Fight For Life definitely isn’t.

Not sure about the others

yet–still, I’m really glad I got to see Dark Chambers,

even with its single basic AI type;

it creates a beautiful lo-fi fantasy look that encapsulates something I’ve been looking for and failing to find in a video game for the past six months or so. Those palettes!

The gloriously chunky 160x240 texture patterns!

Golly man.

I like Basketbrawl better than Midway’s arcade Arch Rivals from the year before that it ripped off (Arch Rivals’ slogan was “A basket brawl!” according to the Basketbrawl Wikipedia page); I played Arch Rivals in Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on PS2 recently and just couldn’t seem to get the two-button control down in that game, whereas Basketbrawl’s works beautifully for me. Yeah Basketbrawl seems to swing wildly in difficulty based on my CPU teammate’s speed stat: if they’re slow,

I get stomped into the ground,

but if they’re fast, the opposing team barely gets into my half of the court!

So that’s a little unfortunate, but it’s still fun to stomp them for a while–take THAT, you mean Arch Rivals AIs!

The emulation feels really good.

The minimalist set of options works quite well for what it does, but I’d have liked a few special cases, for instance if you want to be able to play Asteroids Deluxe without the considerable visual noise of the background space illustration–for which the actual arcade cabinet creates a really cool 3D effect by using a two-way mirror to make the the vector graphics hover over the painted background, an effect that just doesn’t come across in this purely 2D representation in Atari 50

–you have to toggle off “Border,” which toggles border art off on all the games; the border art is actually quite nice for the most part, so I don’t want to do that, but I HAVE to toggle off those backgrounds when I play Asteroids Deluxe in order to be able to see what I’m doing in that game;

I wish it had a separate toggle for that that didn’t mess with the Border setting on every other game.

I wish you could flag selected games as favorites and sort just by them; the closest the collection comes to that is letting you sort by Most Recent, and that list only shows the oh eight or so most recently played games. But if you go just poking through some other games briefly, it totally disrupts your Most Recent list. : P

It took me a day to realize there’s no online in Atari 50: no online play

, not even online leaderboards. I suppose supporting leaderboards for the 100+ games across the release’s multiple platforms would have been a huge task; still, they could done them for some of the most popular games. (Okay I haven’t looked through ALL 100+ games, some could still be hidden in there somewhere, technically. ‘p’)

If you haven’t seen them before, the included digital versions of the three DC Swordquest comics originally packed in with the three published Swordquest games–back when Warner owned both DC and Atari–are something of a hoot (art by George Perez and Dick Giordano, writing by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway, colors by Adrienne Roy, letters by John Costanza, editing by Giordano).

Oh that reminds me of another too-minimalist annoyance: the arcade flyer/game manual/comic reader doesn’t remember your place, or even your zoom setting from page-to-page! I mean jeepers. I guess that’s good for clean browsing in a way,

but then they should have adjusted the default zoom so that it’s more full-screen than it is; it’s always zoomed out maybe ~15% when you get to a new page.

8 Likes

Reading about this collection makes me want to play Rampart again (which, of course, isn’t included and I guess would require some adjustments to the controls to emulate, whatever they did with Centipede). Actually, I just now learned that Rampart was released on PS3, and apparently you can still buy digital PS3 games. I’m tempted.

I also wouldn’t mind revisiting Miner 2049er, which is included. I used to play that on my C64. I never knew there was a sequel (Bounty Bob Strikes Back), and that’s also included.

3 Likes

Basketbrawl is wild. I feel like once you pick up the speed and shove power-ups (which might take a game or two of pure luck) you’re pretty much unstoppable unless something really goes wrong.

I was at the arcades for the jump from Arch Rivals to NBA Jam but this comp introduced me to this piece of the puzzle.

2 Likes

they put the turkey certificate in!!!

the first thing I think of when I think ATARI but the last thing I would have imagined them putting in their own videogame. a payment of a free turkey for making the two biggest games that year

10 Likes

Oh that rules. Yeah I don’t know much Atari history outside of this but it seems like a fairly warts-and-all presentation here, and made for a surprisingly informative and page-turning read.

They even have a photo and blurb on the landfill.

5 Likes

my best friends mom worked at Atari during the landfill ET saga and she was so confused when there was a Kickstarter to dig it back up. she was just bewildered why people treated THROWING AWAY TRASH (in her eyes) like a mythical rumor

8 Likes