assarrpeegee battles in jarpeegees

if you squint enchant arm counts

1 Like

flicks off the light switch and begins walking out the door after the last guest leaves at the end of my surprise retirement party, slowly walk to the car and find, under one of the windshield wipers, what at first seems to be a parking ticket but upon closer inspection is a hand-written note that reads, simply:

damn, guess thereā€™s still work to be done here in game playerā€™s town

3 Likes

Fire Emblem Gaiden is so weird. Echoes even has these pixel hunt sections like youā€™re playing an adventure game.

I always wanted to try Koudelka since I saw a review in a magazine over 20 years ago. Looked like a mix between JRPG and Resident Evil. And oh god Hybrid Heaven. I remember them hyping this up as N64 Metal Gear Solid.

I donā€™t like the radial movement systems and much prefer tile-based, but stuff like Dragon Quarter sure counts.

Can anyone recommend me a comprehensive website centered on JRPGs that has screenshots? I vaguely remember a couple but the exact names escape me atm.

Dialogue trees, inscrutable item puzzles, reactions for interacting with almost everything, getting totally walled and having to check the single English walkthrough to learn that chatting with the wino causes monsters to attack the town

1 Like

Still playing LiveALive and just realized that thereā€™s an inordinate amount of grinding required to beat the last boss, so I think Iā€™m totally fine with the bad ending. I saw the credits roll, good enough for me.

2 Likes

Yep, this is exactly how i ended it.
I was intending on going back to do the good ending, but Iā€™ve put so much on my plate that i donā€™t think thatā€™s happening any time soon.

Itā€™s a cool game, but i still think itā€™s weird that after all the experimental stuff it just ends as a bog standard RPG

1 Like

Like itā€™s trying to make up for it at the end somehow, or maybe itā€™s just trying to tell you to stop playing already, and if you want to be a completionist and redeem yourself by getting a good ending, youā€™ll have to go through hell first.

I think itā€™s still somewhat unusual, like a nightmarish deconstruction as if the world is really coming apart and everything is slapped together haphazardly with new and color swapped enemies in labyrinthine samey looking dungeons and secret bosses and maybe Iā€™m just reading too much into it but it almost seems like thereā€™s more content in this last messy chapter than the previous ones combined. Not particularly enjoyable content maybe, but damn I didnā€™t expect the game to push back like that and give me the finger. I kinda wanna play the original just to see if all that was already there because it feels like some tacked on nonsense theyā€™d add as bonus content in a remake.

3 Likes