Arkitektur Thread Redux || BLDGBLOB

I can believe it if the part you’re seeing is made of bricks. It’s hard to mess up bricks. It can be done, though.

A number of the baby buildings here are already warping or have dents. It’s not a look that ages handsomely. These are materials whose sole effect is impressing a sparkly sense of newness once the building’s up.

Took some photos along North Kedzie Avenue while visiting Chicago a couple weeks ago

3 Likes

Gosh, all of those buildings are so heavy looking.

Damn, these are really something.

That beaux-arts style is so good. Love that mascaron.

2 Likes

Brought home a book from 1881, first edition, full of architectural/sculptural illustrations, and reproductions of engravings by Maarten van Heemskerck depicting wonders of the ancient world.

1 Like

1 Like

http://museusdaenergia.org/system/photos/211/original/Foto_0060.jpg?1337794635

2 Likes

New scans from a couple of books

1 Like

Photos taken today. First one shows 97 and 99 Bay State Road, both designed in 1900 by two different firms. Each has just the right amount of fine detailing and messy curiosities. Even the sides and back are worth looking at. It’s too bad about the modern clapboard addition to 99’s attic story, but it’s thankfully limited to just a portion on the west side. I believe they’ve been converted to Boston University student housing, and might now be fraternities. As usual, I couldn’t get inside, although when I looked through two of the doors for 99 it seemed like the ground story’s appearance had been preserved.

What’s the building?

J.W. Dodd Middle School (25 Pine St, Freeport NY if you want to see more angles of it on Google street view). I can’t really find information about the building itself (including whether or not it was originally conceived as a school building). Pretty much any google search is mostly turning up something about a teacher sex scandal from a few years ago.

You should take more photos. See if you can go inside.

Sadness

Diplo I keep meaning to take pictures of interesting buildings around Baltimore you would like but then I have two kids and I can’t.

Holler “We’re going on a damn building strut” and take them with you

Oh, wait. Is one of them a toddler

B t w: I uploaded two folders of architectural pictures in case anyone would like them

Folder 1 (526 MB) || Folder 2 (444 MB)

so, i wanted to ask this in june, but somehow lost track of it and only remembered when stumbling over this thread a week ago, have been slowly catching up the past few days.

Q: @diplo, I was wondering whether you do understand german, since I’ve seen some pictures featuring german language itt. Reason why I am asking is kinda obvious, i guess - what’s your take on the bauhaus approach to architecture?

n.b. took me a while, but found again the place where I have found (and downloaded) some of the bauhaus books, and wanted to share one that might be of interest to folks in general here, contains a lot of concepts and some contemporary photos.

http://bibliothequekandinsky.centrepompidou.fr/imagesbk/RLPF723/M5050_X0031_LIV_RLPF0723.pdf

Those safety rails are a real shame

2 Likes