Anime Hearthstone

I saw a handful of people talk about Shadowverse in SB Discord and noticed we didn’t have a thread for it yet, so here we go.

Shadowverse is Anime Hearthstone with Cooler Mechanics. Instead of hero powers like in Hearthstone, each class has its own mechanic that its class-specific cards revolve around. Bloodcraft, for example, enters a state called Vengeance after its leader has 10 health or less, which powers up many Bloodcraft-specific cards. There’s also a limited use evolution mechanic which allows you to spend an evolution point in exchange for giving (most of the time) +2/+2 to a card and letting them attack enemy followers on the turn they were summoned instead of waiting for the next turn.

It also feels far more generous than Hearthstone with regards to how much free stuff you are given. For example, you get 100 rupees for each unique player you play a private match with up to 20 players, which equals to 20 free card packs. I joined this week and got something like 47 card packs after completing the tutorial.

I’m still getting a feel for what kind of deck I wanna work towards, but I’m thinking of going face/aggro swordcraft just because it seems like the most effective option for beginners right now?

I’ve been playing this game for months and I still don’t really understand how Dragons work. I guess they try to stall for time while they get extra resources to drop a nuke before yours is ready? Also, there’s a waifu character I guess?

Played Aggro(-ish) Bats pretty much all the way up into the mid-As since I got most of the pricier cards useful for it in my initial packs, learned the game piloting that. Revised the deck a few times as I got further and after the new expansion came out and added a bunch more stuff, but I think I’m hitting a wall in terms of what it can do in the current meta.

Sword has good cheap/low-level and expensive/high-level options with not a ton in between. A Banner Sword deck is still pretty cheap to assemble, doesn’t require any Legendary cards, and can face right through less-developed decks. If you don’t put any other commanders in, a Maid Leader is a guaranteed Banner in hand, which makes it fairly reliable; the main trick is knowing when you can play said banner vs. when you need to make trades or fill the field instead. Those are the relatively easy-to-assemble, relatively low-cost ones that come to mind.

It is still funny to me how Runecraft changed overnight when the last expansion dropped, and added a whole bunch of good new followers, and also Daria.

I need to get some of these 100 rupies for private matches. Once I learn how to make private matches.

I am playing it now and I find it more interesting that Hearthstone so far. Playing a very grindy Shadowcraft deck consisting in making favorable trades until your opponent run out of cards. Is really low tier, but it’s similar to the miserable mono black decks I’ve played in my life. Good enough to win some matches for now, but the lack of legendaries hurt me sometimes. I may jump to Runecraft, given I have Erasmus and Daria. Daria is stupidly powerful. And Erasmus has a really silly name if you’ve been in an european university.

Considering spending my crystals in one of the precon decks. The shadowcraft one has Lord of the Flies, Cerberus and Mordecai the Ceaseless, which is not a bad suite of legendaries at all.

Well, Rowen is voiced by Sugita in the JP version, so I guess that makes Rowen waifu enough for a lot of people.

Wish I could mix and match voices, I like the english snowmen voice.

I thought dragon waifu was Forte?

Private matches are pretty easy. You create a room and you’re given a five or six digit ID. Send your friend that ID and they can join, or you can send an invite to people on your friends list.

There are also threads on Reddit or wherever where you can post your room ID and other people who are looking to get their coins join up on you. Generally the protocol is one player grabs bloodcraft and damages themselves while the other hits their face [because you can’t forfeit the game]. I haven’t done it yet but I probably will when I’m exceptionally bored.

I have learned this fact before and it still surprises me every time, because the English dub’s take on the character is so completely different.

The precon decks generally have a pretty good spread of stuff. They’re cleverly designed to only give you one each of the Big Money cards which you will definitely want three of at high levels, but if you’re cool with spending real money on virtual cards, they’re very much worth it for new players/players who really need particular cards.

And the following copies of the same deck are more expensive, quite clever indeed. I don’t mind throwing money their way to get at least one copy. It’s still miles better than playing MODO.

That’s the case with a lot of them, with english Urias’ super cheesy accent as the most egregious one. I keep a copy of each pack of voices and alternate them. I enjoy both most of the time, even with that fake dracula accent.

She’s really popular online, ain’t she? I think the alternate leaders I’ve seen the most are her and Mordecai, which I can understand because hell yeah skeletons. Really tempted to spend gold in picking the Mordecai skin, but that’s gold for like five boosters.

I like using Vania as my leader so I can get my Minor Yu-Gi-Oh Villain on, repeatedly summoning myself onto the field.

Pretty huge update patch today, guess we are getting the SFV content?

And the nerfs to Goblin Mage and Piercing Rune, neither of which I’m particularly complaining about.

It looks like the next expansion’s going to be detailed in Japanese games magazines next week, too.

Can live with these nerfs. I only use goblin mage with Feena to develop board presence. And Levi + two burn spells turn 4 was ridiculous.

They’ve put extra chapters in story mode, so a few tickets more for take two.

And damn, if there is a new expansion I hope there are a few toys more for shadowcraft. I get sad every time I have to deck Ghosthound Sexton for the havencraft matchup.

They’ve re-recorded all of Arisa’s English lines with this new patch, apparently.

Fun fact: You can also get an extra 1400 rupees by beating all the leaders on the new Elite 2 difficulty.

How hard are AI elite difficulties? With that and the previous elite AI there are a ton of rupees to get in there.

I haven’t tried Elite 2 yet but the original Elite seems pretty easy to take down once you’ve got a viable ladder deck. I beat all of them aside from Bloodcraft and Havencraft last night with a face Dragoncraft deck.

Will try little by little, is not like these rewards are going to go away anytime soon.

First cards revealed. The Heavencraft one is supersilly.

Heavenly Aegis
Rarity: Legendary
Type: Follower
Class: Havencraft
9 mana 8/8
Reduce all damage dealt to this follower to 0. This follower is unaffected by other cards effects

I am not sure if it’s as nasty as the series of amulets that makes you win on the spot. But looks like either you have a follower with bane or you cannot deal with it.

Ah, Havencraft gets its own themed version of Mordecai!

Better stats and cannot be banished/transformed for only one point more. It’s quite the bargain.

Feeling regret for not grinding enough points to get the Hamsa sleeves right now, btw.

You can preview some more cards here: https://shadowverse.com/cardpack/tempestofthegods/

Meanwhile in that Japanese magazine, there’s a neato runecraft card that turns all of your enemies’ followers into 1/1 flaming rats that deal 1 damage to both leaders at the start of the opponent’s turn. That’s my kind of troll bullshit card.

I’m always interested in cards that can put other cards in hand, so Baphomet could be interesting, though I don’t think I run any Vampire cards that have 5+ (unevolved) attack right now. Guess it’s intended as a buff to decks that actually run big killers. (Control, maybe?)