ambitious disaster games

Is that the one where you legit look into your jacket at your inventory in your pockets?

Yeah, it is amazing. I mean, that game is a total mess, but a really neato mess.

ive never played alone in the dark 2008 but i love it because it contributed to my favorite youtube poop!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I still have a copy around that I could try to bring to Branson, assuming my 360 is still working. It’s a thing.

It has buttons for blinking your eyes which will dry out otherwise

7 Likes

this is one of the endings in twisted metal 2

1 Like

one of our plans for 2020 is to play through the whole xenosaga ps2 trilogy, excited to see how that turns out

3 Likes

the original romancing saga

it was the first jarpeg to move past random battles but a typical dungeon screen looks like this:

and all of those enemies move a dozen times faster than you, so it winds up feeling like you’re playing something with a nes-era encounter rate

there’s a totally believable rumour that in the age of cartridge size as a marketing thing nintendo forced square to gut a ton of content as they didn’t want a third party having the largest game on the snes, resulting in a ton of bugs and quests that just sort of… cut off

2 Likes

I think someone here actually committed themselves to the same thankless task but I forget who this was and where the thread exists. Maybe during the IC days?

god bless, i think i will genuinely love it

its a lot of cutscenes but equipping robot parts feels so cool

like the box advertised over 40 hours of cutscenes! i had to tell people who were thinking about buying the game that as a selling point!

I haven’t played it since release all i remember is wishing there were more battles, cuz they were fun
so my exact beef with xenogears

2 Likes

I too have been saying “ah man I should replay the xenosaga trilogy” for like… 2 years now. TBH the occasional “switch collection” rumor is the only thing keeping me from doing it, also last year when I was super broke I had to sell the games to make rent (they go for a pretty penny!). They are all ABSOLUTE disasters and I LOVED them as a kid and THINK i will still love them again.

Agreed with @daphaknee about the battles! It’s so weird, the team behind this, xenogears, CC, etc., keep making games that have extremely interesting and good battle systems and then burying them under cutscenes. It’s like, they don’t know the strengths of their own games. Or, more likely, lead writer and director Takahashi-san was so in love with his cinematic ambitions that he didn’t pay attention to the great work his battle design team was doing. XS1 especially has so many cool ideas! Any RPG I make will likely steal the Boost mechanic wholesale!

Anyway my disaster game is actually David Cage’s first game, Omikron: The Nomad Soul. I don’t think it’s actually “ambitious,” it’s more like… David Cage, bless his soul, clearly INTENDED it to be ambitious and was very pleased with himself. So like, he bit off more than he could chew, but the biting wasn’t “came up with too complicated of an idea,” but rather “was arrogant and ignorant enough to think he could come up with a smart idea to begin with” lol. It’s cute tho. Fahrenheit kinda is this as well.

4 Likes

i love cutscenes (and Mechanics) and hate fun so i think this will work out in my favor. have to finish xenogears first though!

2 Likes

I was one of those people who was totally on-board with the Xenosaga cutscene:gameplay ratio, but I wasn’t prepared for just how bad so many of the XS cutscenes were. Give me more cryptic, apocalyptic flashbacks! Fewer “technobabble from the bridge crew” interludes! Otherwise I still really liked the games, and they are very worthy candidates for this thread.

2 Likes

I wanted to say MGSV/Phantom Pain because I loved it so much and want to shoehorn it into anything I can write coherently about but it’s not really an unfinished train wreck, just unfinished. Just became obvious that, even down to the game structure, Kojima was forced to rein in his auteur thing and wrap it up.

I’d argue it’s not unfinished at all – the credits roll after part 1 and for all intents and purposes it’s the end of the game. Part 2 is really there for the weirdos who don’t stop playing, it’s an extended denouement. The misstep was the cutscene introducing part 2 and the audience’s built-in expectations that there had to be endless tedious cutscenes stuck in the game somewhere.

Instead MGSV is content to end with Snake and Skull Face sitting silently facing each other; everything needed has been said, and all that’s left is the violence and the end.

3 Likes

I hear you there, Peace Walker was set up the same way. I guess it just made me pine for a Diamond Dogs tv series that would go on forever fueled by monster of the week “episodes” where I could eventually cover the world in my honeycombs of Blackwater oil rig bases.

1 Like

Directed by Hideo Kojima

1 Like

Omikron is perfect because it’s a dozen overlapping systems (a fighting game? an FPS? an open-world RPG? where you swap bodies?) that are maybe half implemented.

When I played it at launch there was a game-breaking bug in your apartment that would keep you from progressing past the initial set of tutorial encounters/quests/whatever you wanna call it in this game. 100% repro.

God what a beautiful disaster. The closest Cage has ever come to making something good.

3 Likes

the training room music is still on the level of the kings quest 5 town theme in terms of “what the fuck happened here”
2 Likes