all things #shrugpunk

7 Likes
New photo by Levy Alone
2 Likes

2 Likes

Panos Cosmatos fucks up taking a shot at Nic Cageā€™s doppelgƤnger.

1 Like

Usually Iā€™m not feeling reboots of franchises from just last decade but I didnā€™t think Del Toroā€™s films came anywhere close to capturing the source materialā€™s essence, save for some of the production design.

So I am cautiously optimistic about this!

on the contrary: if Del Toro couldnā€™t do anything good with hellboy, how the hell is some second rate british hack supposed to?

as a filmmaker Del Toro is a 3rd rate hack who should have just been a production designer 8)

2 Likes

BRING ON THE SECOND RATE TALENT

ok whatever, if del toro couldnā€™t do something, how could someone objectively worse than del toro do something.

Broad qualitative statements re: talent points brought to the table or whatever are meaningless.

I think a thoroughly average technician with a couple of mostly decent action/horror movies under his belt might be the person to midwife a property like Hellboy to basically adequate screen life.

A lot of the problems with Del Toroā€™s movies were the ways the material seemed to encourage him to wallow in the more annoying corners of his fetish palace until it was nothing but a big ball pit where every ball was one of this testicles and none of those testicles looked like the source material anymore.

I wanted RED balls Guillermo!

On the other hand I think Neil Marshall is an incompetent who has built a career on forgettable action/horror irony-rental schlock and a bunch of episodes of prestige tv, a genre dedicated to filling me with bile.

His Hellboy is going to be exactly like the tv version of Constantine (which he directed two episodes of): slavish devotion to nerdboy trivia from the source material but no effort towards actually translating the material to the screen. Youā€™ll get all the cinematic references as they try to set up a new cinematic universe that will never launch.

OK but this is the only thing a new HELLBOY THE MOTION PICTURE was ever going to be so

1 Like

Itā€™s going to aggressively ape Marvel formula. Maybe Hellboy wonā€™t act like heā€™s 14 if Iā€™m lucky?! The action will still be bad but in an overcut anonymous Neil Marshall way instead of a stately del Toro way. Ron Perlman will tweet something snide because heā€™s a giant sixtysomething baby. The comics will still be the comics.

at least thereā€™s one thing we can all agree on

5 Likes

:waynestare:

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like