albums @ 2021

this rules so far btw.

How she remembers the moon
Brings it up from time to time

it me

1 Like

just realized i fucking forgot to put the spirit of the beehive record on this list oh my god

2 Likes

Just heard this yesterday and have been listening to it a lot, add it to tha list. The video (it’s a performance, not just the album cover) is actually very cool too.

2 Likes

Wow wow, just found a late entry to my list:

I’ve been following Rainbow Chan for a while, and I think she deserves to be way more well-known than she is. I just found out she released a new album this year. I’m still on track 3 but it is completely blowing me away.

‘Over the last year, Hong Kong, my birthplace, has undergone significant changes. Not being able to travel back due to COVID-19 only amplified my feelings of loss and sadness. What would be left when I returned? In isolation, I started to write farewell songs - half addressed to a lover, half addressed to the city. I conjured the sounds of my childhood – Teresa Teng, Momoe Yamaguchi, Faye Wong. These great singers have perfected the sentimental ballad, turning grief into a beautiful flower or a delicate hand gesture. On this EP, I’m leaning into this performative romanticism. As always, there is an underlying experimental electronic spirit to my music, inspired by the sounds of Mica Levi and Japanese pioneers like Yellow Magic Orchestra. These songs ultimately celebrate classic song-writing through melancholy and nostalgia.’

5 Likes

oh my god you’re right i should be on top of this, love Rainbow to bits

1 Like