ahnonay

from uru: path of the shell. this was one of the most memorable ages any of the myst games i’ve played. it moves from past, present, to future timelines as it’s played through.

the past is an island world with a typical weird myst radar in the middle of it. this does something central to the level but i’ve already beaten it at this point. you can swim into the water but there’s strong currents to it, and in the distance there’s riven-like villages rising up out of the water.

the present is a blighted world where the water is gone and the villages have been destroyed. there’s dark clouds, lightning, and at the beginning there’s crystals all over the surface.

in the future, everything is gone and it’s left hovering in space.

reaching the end of one timeline will take you to the beginning of another. they loop endlessly until you figure out the secret of the level. the gist of it is that it gets more complicated and there ends up being more ways to travel in, around, and between the spaces of the timeline.

how the level is ultimately structured ends up being on a common symbol in the game’s world. it’s more fun to remember than to play, the trial and error can drag a lot on parts of it. anyway it rules

18 Likes

i should play myst at some point but i always watch some book and people yell at me

2 Likes

Myst sisbros join me

Did you guys hit up that Kickstarter for the Collection? I kind of want to do a whole playthrough again. But like I haven’t even played Obduction yet.

2 Likes

They were never better at fantasyscapes than they were in Uru and that’s far and away my favorite part of Myst

this song has never fully worked out of my ear

but there’s a lot of other good bits synchronizing with the calm void

2 Likes

they’re good. they’re a lot of elementary in purgatory worlds, i mean i enjoyed them for that. i have a notebook with a bunch of little line maps and notes on it, still. ahnonay is exceptional there’s not much else like it in the series.

ah, i did not. i had the cyan worlds steam pack from years ago, so i played through all of those earlier this year. i don’t have the ubisoft ones, i’ve never played them, nor obduction.

yeahhh uru was a slow burn for me, but it ended up being probably my favorite in the series. garrison, kadish tolesa, eder kemo, to d’ni and etc could all have their own threads

Is Uru still reasonably playable in 2018? The online part of it is down, right? Is the game still worth my time if I liked Myst 1 through 4?

i’ve only played offline, i played it like any other myst game. it’s long with the expansions, but i enjoyed it as much as myst or riven. my one caveat would be to look up where the journey cloths are in the starting area, it starts slow and i ended up stuck in the desert for too long.

i don’t know what the online really does because it didn’t seem to interact with the base game in any way. it was originally released with just the singleplayer, and there’s no puzzles that require other people or anything like that. in one of the expansions i guess there were supposed to be other people in the ruins, but it seemed like being the only one left would have added to the experience if anything. the online seems to be running again here https://mystonline.com/en/, but i’ve never tried it.

It is awesome online but sort of ahead of its time. The entire singleplayer game can be played co-op, which is its own fun experience. The early online potion was cool in its novelty but sort of dumb in practice. There is a central hub where everyone can hang out, but also each group of however many people (like 20 or 30 or something) is assigned a “neighborhood” private to them. For a long time there were just dumb little scavenger hunts to do in the hub area which is one reason why the online withered and died. Eventually they released some co-op specific puzzle ages, which sound amazing, but I was out of the game before those were released and I had a chance to try them out.

1 Like

wow, i did not that know about the co-op, that would have been cool. i thought it was just those great zero hunts and w/e. if there’s online only ages i might check those out

Best part of online was the entire website and forums structured around role play and players divided between archaeologists and reconstructionists. What a lovely community and it allowed the game managers to run the entire thing like an active-managed ARG when they were waiting for level content.

1 Like

I played all the offline stuff a few years ago and might be able to dig up my posts on sb1.

3 Likes

I also have an sb1 post of scans of my notebook after playing through the whole series that was pretty well-received

most important mystfact is that there was an aborted version of Myst 4 called MYST IV: BEYOND THE D’NI ULTRAWORLD

too powerful a title to live anywhere but on a gong album cover I guess

5 Likes

if this could be split off into a myst series thread in kop that might be good, there doesn’t seem to be one