Adam Nayman owns Guillermo Del Toro

like i dunno, instead of trashing stuff, go put that energy into making stuff that you like?

i feel like that’s all del toro is doing, and someone gave him a platform to do it, so cool! i think he’s just making stuff he likes and is happy with that.

i was actually really conflicted about making art for a long time. i like making creating “dumb” fantasy shit when I thought I should be making cool hipster graphic art stuff, or focus on life drawing and realism and art-school stuff. i tried really hard to avoid making the stuff i liked because I wanted to achieve some higher-standard, like to make art worthy of making or some shit.

now i just sculpt dryads and mermaids and monster girls cause that’s what i like to do. it’s not high art, but it brings me a lot more happiness (though understanding anatomy and having good fundamentals is still important to my work). it seems like a silly thing to be conflicted about, but it took me years of my life to make peace with this shit.

sorry this is more meta and kind of me being frustrated at our current culture of cinema sins/bad-nautured riffing/let me make a youtube video about why x is bad and get tons of #engagement

also i didn’t mean to turn this into a personal story. didn’t mean to derail!

9 Likes