A Cool Grotto Full of Bugs: Hollow Knight

Yeah, I think the trick is that they can tap into the muscle memory they learned for another game once they consciously map it.

Like, I play a bunch of Melee but not many traditional fighters, so I plateaued pretty fast on Tekken and had to sleep before the movements felt “natural”. When I played Rivals of Aether on release I felt like I was continually get better without resting. Like, I could practice a certain combo in Tekken over and over and get more consistent in training, but it wasn’t until the next day that I was able to summon that training at will when the situation arose. But I’d learn a combo in Rivals and could implement it pretty immediately.

This effect was maximized, too, because I was learning to use an arcade stick for Tekken.

If two games use the same input device, well, I think there are only so many possible movements you need to learn on a single controller. It’s not like playing different sports e.g. Tennis v. Soccer where there are some movement you do in one that you’d basically never do in the other.

2 Likes